When is a Stuck Fermenation a Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I've had this beer in the fermenter for just over 2 months now. It started off with an OG of about 1.060 and has been stuck at 1.020 for well over a month. I shook the carboy around a bit to aerate it but it continues at 1.020. I guess I could let it sit forevermore but I don't have that much time and I ain't gettin any younger. You guys think its safe to pack it up and start bottling?

What was the expected FG? If it's been at 1.020 for 2 months, it's probably done and can be bottled.

That's a good question. I don't know. I know that my OG was higher than it was supposed to be.

Is it an extract batch? If so, a higher than expected FG is not surprising.

Agreed with the above. At 2 months it is going to be done and where it is going to stop. If the temps have not been weird then you do not need to worry about bottling issues. What was the expected attenuation of the yeast? You got a 66% attenuation, which is not great, but can be on the low edge of expected values for some strains.

It was an all grain batch. As well, I don't know the expected attenuation of the yeast. In fact, I'm not even certain what that phrase means. However, judging from context, it seems to me that phrase has something to do with how much bang for the buck the yeast provides in terms of fermenting the wort into alcohol.

The expected FG is an estimate. It does not sound stuck, it sounds long ago finished. Bottle & enjoy.

Expected attenuation is how much a certain strain can attenuate. Mostly it is around 75% AA, but some are higher, some are lower. WY1968 London ESB attenuates much less than say US05, so the expected attenuation is more in the low 70%'s instead of the high 70%'s.

I was having some attenuation problems but have since learned that once the yeast has been fermenting for 1-2 days and starts to slow down I raise the temp 3-5 degrees to keep the yeast from dropping out and the attenuation has been much better.

Hard to say unless we know your mash temp and yeast strain. 1.020 is not out of bounds for an extract batch, but depending on mash temp and yeast strain, an AG batch would likely finish lower.

Wow. How long can you keep wort in fermentation? I'd assume spoilage at a certain point?

Spoilage requires bacteria that doesn't really do too well in beer. Some beers sit in a fermenter for years... I'm actually surprised a homebrewer would even ask this question.

What yeast strain is it? I use English ale yeast in most of my beers and 1.060 to 1.020 sounds just about right to me! (Maybe just barely underattenuated but nothing to cry over.)

Out of all the Brewer's and Homebrewers I know now, You are the first prick ive come
across... Sorry i couldnt mention it earlier. And thanks samc.

Out of all the Brewer's and Homebrewers I know now, You are the first prick ive come
across... Sorry i couldnt mention it earlier. And thanks samc.

It's an Ontario thing.

Some people primary for 2-4weeks, some keep it in there for 2 or more months. I try for 3 weeks unless it's a wheat.

Latest posts

Back