American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Thanks for the input. I checked, and my stock on Amarillo and Simcoe was a bit lower than I thought (0.5 oz less each).

So I did some calculations and came to the following:

15 min: 1.5 oz warrior 14,3% and 0.5 oz simcoe 9,3%
5 min : 1 oz simcoe 9,3%
flamout: 0.5 oz amarillo 8,9%
dry hop: 1 oz amarillo 8,9% and 0.5 oz simcoe 9,3%

The warrior is pretty high on alpha acid, so I think I should not use more than 1,5 oz.

I have some cascade hop leftovers, less than 0,5 oz. Could I just add it to the dry hop, or will it be over the top?

Cheers,
Lord McAle

Brewed this one today...

6 gal preboil volume
5.75 gal into fermenter
7.6 lb Pilsen LME (most of which was late addition at flameout)
1 lb Crystal 10L steeped 45 min @ 155F-160F
1 oz Centennial (9.5%AA) 15 min
1 oz Centennial (9.5%AA) 5 min
0.5 oz Centennial (9.5%AA) 0 min
Servomyces yeast nutrient
Whirlfloc
WLP001 California Ale w/ 1.6L starter
Oxygenated with pure O2
1.049 OG
30.02 IBU

The plan is to ferment at 66F for the first few days and then ramp it up to low 70's as fermentation slows.

I used Centennial because I have a LOT of these hops. And then I used Crystal 10L to keep the beer light in color.

Now for the dry hop, I have cascade, centennial, amarillo, citra, and simcoe. Any thoughts on which one I should go with? I'm leaning towards more centennial to keep it simple.

For my dry hop, I bought Citra, as someone suggested. The citra is 13.5 alpha vs the 7.5... is that going to throw things way off?

You don't need to worry about alpha acids in a dry hop, as the dry hop does not add bitterness. These are only utilized in the boil. Citra is a nice hop to dry hop with, so go for it!

First time brewer here. Figured I'd give this recipe a whirl, and despite some unexpected events, it has turned out (well, its still carbonating so I guess it is turning out) pretty well. I committed infanticide on a bottle a few nights ago and it's actually pretty freaking good. Tastes ever so slightly of Dale's. It turns out that after I cooled the wort I made the mistake of aerating it before topping off to 5 gal. The foam from the aerating made it difficult to see the 5 gal mark, so I had to eyeball it to the best of my ability. So, long story short, I ended up with 4 gal instead of 5. This sucks in that I had a compromised yield, but has resulted in a denser, richer beer than expected (not better than recipe, just different). The beer turned out having a rich red color. I will be sure to post some pics when I get the chance.

Thanks for the recipe MCarter. I plan to brew this again in the not too distant future, but this time a little more according to the recipe hopefully!

Drinking my 10th batch of this fantastic beer. I've moved on to all grain and enjoying my 'real' brews, but still brew this once in a while for ease and quick drinking. Never lets me down.

BTW - did an experiment with this batch, fermenting it with Munton's Ale Yeast. Turned out GREAT.

Cheers my friends!

Just thought I'd share my results... This has been my best tasting beer to date! Ready to make it again only have about a 6 pack left :(

30 min pale ale.jpg

I tried a few after two weeks of bottle conditioning; they were mediocre. I tried a few after 4 weeks of bottle conditioning; surprisingly good! I ordered some more DME! I am going to throw some Simcoe in there for ****s and giggles!

I amped this up to an IIPA (barleywine?) and got 8.93% ABV. I had 2lbs of extract, and figured why not.

Bottles are conditioning and a taste from my hydrometer sample was totally awesome, easy drinking, hoppy but not an obnoxious bitter bomb.

This was my recipe:

Starting volume: 1.25 gallon
Final volume: 1 gallon
OG 1.080
FG 1.012

2lbs light DME
2oz Crystal 60

Steeped grains until 165, then pulled them out.
Remove from heat, add DME, and bring to a boil.

Boil 15 minutes with the following additions:
1oz Cascade @ 15min
.75oz Cascade @ 10min
.25oz Cascade @ 5min
.25oz Mosaic @ 5min
.25oz Cascade @ flameout
.25oz Mosaic @ flameout

Dry hopped with 1/4oz Centennial and 1/2oz Cascade.

The drawback to doing this is that you lose some volume from all of those hops. When I went to bottle, I was a bottle or so short of what I usually get from a 1 gallon batch. The taste of it makes it totally worth it, though.

Just brewed this today! Fingers crossed it turns out well. Hoping to bump it up to a two gallon batch next time if it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed this three weeks ago. used 7# Light LME, 1# Crystal 55 (all my LHBS had), and cascades at 8.4%. Wyeast British Ale yeast. OG appeared to be 1.049 (a little low, but i'll live). tasted pretty good a week and a half ago, when i measured the grav @ 1.015, a little two-dimensional, but I think time will fix that. Dry-hopping today, then bottling next week.

definitley hoppier than my usual, but such a quick easy brew - I can easily see myself doing a modified version of this every single brew day.

Just brewed this today! Fingers crossed it turns out well. Hoping to bump it up to a two gallon batch next time if it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Let me know what you think of it! Mine has been in the bottles for a few weeks and they're tasting awesome. Next time I might go with 40 instead of 60 to really let those hops shine!

Brewed this one last night. Followed OP's recipe as close as I could. I used some citra and cascade instead of all cascade.

OG = 1.060
Pitched US-05

Well, what a glorious clusterf*** I made of this! Things got a little crazy Saturday, so I wound up forgetting the recipe when I went to the LHBS. I thought I remembered pretty well, and I picked up 8lbs of light DME, a pound of crystal 40, 4oz of Centennial and a vial of WLP060 (they were out of Nottingham). I was playing with the recipe in BeerSmith and decided to add an oz of Simcoe to the bittering hops (since I had some lying around). Get around to measuring everything out and it wasn't until then that I realized I had Centennial instead of Cascade. Plugged the change in BS and lo and behold! 50+ IBUs! Since I'm making this for a family event, that was way too much. But of course, I had already measured out the hops and mixed in the Simcoe. So I wound up just using the 2.5oz of Centennial and the oz of Simcoe at 15min (still 45 IBUs), haven't decided if I'm going to to ahead and dry-hop yet. Tasted the wort and hated it. I don't like Centennial, and there was a lot of it. I also measured my OG as 1.072, which doesn't seem possible (I only used 6# of DME). I'm going to pick up some Cascade or maybe EKG and make another batch next weekend, and I'll take both to the party and use them as educational exhibits. Glad I have lots of guys at work who like my stuff, because I think I'll be giving most of this batch away.

Looking forward to finding out what this recipe *really* tastes like, since I don't think I'll be enjoying my "variation"!

Let me know what you think of it! Mine has been in the bottles for a few weeks and they're tasting awesome. Next time I might go with 40 instead of 60 to really let those hops shine!

Bottled today! So far it is citrusy and awesome!

Question about the dry hopping I noticed that the OP dry hopped with original amount of 1oz and also with 2oz and was wondering if anyone else has also done that and which the preferred my dry hop is coming up soon.

Question about the dry hopping I noticed that the OP dry hopped with original amount of 1oz and also with 2oz and was wondering if anyone else has also done that and which the preferred my dry hop is coming up soon.

I did 2z and it was good. just popped a bottle of this (a day early! *gasp*) and it's good, but with those bittering hops missing i don't think you can add too much hop otherwise. It comes out VERY light (in terms of flavor), and a little on the sweet side (granted I used more extract than OP). doing it again I will probably try starting with a hop with more inherent bitterness/higher AAU than Cascades, and doing the rest with something tastier - probably Cascades, because they're delicious! also, mine probably won't be fully carbed for about another 3-5 days, though I'm NOT going to worry about waiting for it... just it'll be even better down the line!

IN OTHER NEWS just built a MLT and planning on doing variations on this every single brewday - why not?. Anyone have ideas for getting other styles in a 15-minute brew? I can always just try the dozens of variations in this thread to keep from getting bored...

UPDATE: first experiment: California Common Ale. I'm going to use crystal 80 unstead of 60 (will work out amt. later) and sub in Northern Brewer for Cascade (same proportions), then use California Lager yeast. will let you know how it turns out.

I've brewed this 10 times now, and even though I've moved to AG, I still love this beer, especially the simplicity and time it takes to brew.

Quick opinion on the crystal - much prefer the 40L to the 60L. Hops come through a little more and the beer is clearer.

Brewed this one last night. Followed OP's recipe as close as I could. I used some citra and cascade instead of all cascade.

OG = 1.060
Pitched US-05

UPDATE:

This one came out great. Girlfriend and I drank damn near the whole freaking batch (5g):mug:! Was great 7 days after bottling. Another friend who is crazy about PA's and IPA's said it was the one of the best he's tasted. I pitched US-05, I dry hopped with 1oz Citra, then cold crashed. The crazy thing was I forgot to have the LHBS crush the grains for me, so I went ghetto and used a wine bottle like a rolling pin!

This one came about to about 5.7 ABV which was perfect and exactly where I like it. I couldn't be happier. Thanks a million OP. :rockin:

I'm already ordering more ingredients for 2 more batches. Anyone know where to get ingredients cheap?

Tried the IIPA version listed previously by stonecutter2. Not bad, but doesn't taste quite the way I like my IIPAs to taste. Because of the hopping schedule, the bitterness wasn't as rounded as is typical in a really good IIPA. I didn't get quite as much hop aroma as I was hoping for, even with 0.5 oz Cascade in 1.25 gallons. Also had a hell of a time transferring for bottling. Wound up with a few bottles having a fair amount of hop gunk in them. Need to be more careful. Alcohol on them is pretty noticeable, even with about a month in the bottles. Hopefully, that will mellow. All in all, not bad, but not great. I will probably try it again, but I think I'll try a bigger batch. I had too much trouble working with such a small volume for such an aggressive dry hop.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I used US-05, fermented at ~69. 2 weeks after bottling and it needs just a little more time. Mine came out a beautiful copper color. A little hazy, but very drinkable. Definitely can't wait to experiment with other hops. I brewed this the same day as an IIPA and this will be gone by the time that will be ready to be enjoyed! Cheers.

Did a variation of that beer using centennial hop. All they had at the LHBS was crystal 80. So I used 3/4lbs of that instead of crystal 60. ABV was at 5,7% and IBUs at 40. Great beer, Im definitively gonna brew that beer again with different hops

Newb question.... What priming sugar are guys using for bottling? Does it matter?

Plain old table sugar here. When I don't keg, that's what I use. I've used DME, honey, brown sugar, etc. over the years and haven't noticed a difference so I keep it simple.

Im fairly new and have 5 or 6 brews successfully completed. First time brewing this 15 minute one. I used hop bags for the first 2 hop additions. My question is do i remove the hop bags at end of boil or transfer them to the fermenter with the wort?

Im fairly new and have 5 or 6 brews completed. I used hop bags for the first 2 hop additions. My question is do i remove the hop bags at end of boil or transfer them to the fermenter with the wort?

You can remove the hop bags. Their work has been completed in the boil.

Just brewed this up again.

Used 1lb English Medium Crystal steeping grains and 6lbs Briess Pilsen DME. Definitely darker than I would have liked due to the grain but it'll be interesting to see what it comes out like.

Will use a lighter grain again in a short while once I've gotten through a few bottles!

I'm almost a year into going all grain and still go back to this every other month. It's just so good and so easy. Tried it with Chinooks last time, not quite as good as the Cascade version. Brewed it tonight with 8oz of agave, Centennial as my bittering and Cascade as the last two additions.

Every time I've added agave syrup to this brew, it's turned out FANTASTIC. :rockin:

Recipe is on the first page of the thread.

Im bottling my first batch tomorrow. I substituted citra for the final dry hop addition.

Love this idea. Just completed a 1-gallon batch in just under an hour. Steeped grains for 20 minutes while heating the rest of my water. Have just bought a stand-alone induction plate which has seriously reduced the time I had to wait for my lousy stove to heat and boil water. Water was already at a boil by the end of my grain steep.

Mixed in some DME and did a 20 minute boil. Took the pot off the plate, mixed in the remainder of the DME and then put the lid on to start my slow-chill. It's still 10 A.M. here so will probably be able to pitch my yeast this evening.

Sweet

So, I'm kind of brewing a mix of Yooper's APA and this 15 minute cascade pale ale. Here's what I'm thinking. Does everything look reasonable to you? 9 gallon pot full boil. All hop additions with ten minutes left in the boil and after are homegrown cascades that I froze a few weeks ago.

I'm actually using extra light liquid extract, but couldn't find it in Beersmith.

1409368904712.jpg

1409368922472.jpg

Just wanted to mention that since my daughter was born last December, I've taken this 15 minute hopping method, and applied it to other styles of beer with great success. Everything from witbiers, mocktoberfests, weissbiers, my pumpkin ale recipe, and others have been modified, and brewed quickly using this hopping method. With free time being so scarce, it's been a life-saver.

To save even more time, I'm now going to try the no-chill method next.

I've brewed a bunch of variants on this pale ale as well. I just recently cracked a keg of a 20 minute session red based on this beer that turned out great.

Fermentables
6lbs Gold LME
1lb Cara Red
.5lbs Crystal 60L
2oz Debittered Black

Hops
1oz Chinook @ 20min
1oz Citra @ 10 min
1oz Citra @ 5 min
1 oz Chinook Dry-Hop

Yeast
US-05

Quick follow-up to my earlier post. Let this one sit in the fermenter for three months and it really tamed the Centennial. Still pretty bitter on the back end, but it's not as in-your-face as it was originally. Still not to my taste, but at least I don't feel I have to warn people before I give them a bottle. Other than the hops, this is a really nice, easy-drinking brew. I can see using this as a base for lots of hop and yeast experiments.

I'm prepping for post-kid brewing (we are adopting so it could be a year or more or it could be a few months) and just attempted my first 15 minute boil yesterday. I only do small batches, and am happy to report that you can have a two gallon brew day done (turning on the stove to clean up done) in an hour and a half using this method- cooling takes less than 10 minutes in an ice bath. I actually adopted the idea to a basic mild recipe, and while it will probably have more hop flavor than you would normally look for in a mild, I'm expecting decent results.

Expedient Mild (2 Gallons):
2 LBS Briess Gold LME
2 OZ Crystal 40L
2 OZ Crystal 120L
2 OZ Special Roast (to add a little malt that you might not get from American LME)
1 OZ Black Patent

1 OZ Fuggle @ 15 minutes.

Cool and rack to two one gallon glass jugs, pitch 1/2 packet S04 into each jug.

Bottle into swing tops with carbonation tabs and you might have the most low-maintenance brew day this side of a Coopers kit. Pictures in 4-5 weeks!

Just pitched some s-05 on this stuff, was what I had.
Hope for good things, followed recipe to a T.
A little worried though, at the end of the process; just before pitching my yeast - my dog had got into the brew area and I think some of his hair might have gotten into the wort.
Issue?
Gonna let it set and see what happens though.

I have made this 3 times now. My second attempt came out super weak..Not sure what happened. The OG was :1.055 FG : 1.024..::( Did my yeast stall out? I'm calling it a super session beer! It's still damn tasty. Everytime I have used Cascade for the brew and 2oz Citra for the dry hop. It's so good that I don't have the slightest temptation to experiment with other variations, well not yet anyways.

Anyways, made another batch of this one yesterday. I upped the DME by 1lb and added 2oz of black patent to the steep for red color. Also upped the hops at 15 min by adding 1oz of Citra. OG for this one came out 1.061. Hydrometer sample tasted amazing and had a beautiful red color. I was aiming for SRM of 18 and I think I'm close. Thanks again to OP, this is my go to brew. This brew has seriously spoiled me where I don't really want to brew much else and has made me lose interest in going to all grain.:rockin:

Back