JW DUNDEE honey brown lager clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My son asked em to do a honey brown lager clone. I think I have the ability to lager now but can't find a recipe ( yep I looked) can anyone help a brutha out?

I love this beer too but I guess we're the minority from the lack of responses. I have a Honey Brown Ale from AHB sitting in Primary right now. Not sure if it'll be anything like Dundee but that's what I was kind of aiming for when I bought it.

Never seen a clone (trust me I've looked), the best you'll probably do is that Honey Brown Ale. Just use a clean yeast and I'll bet your son won't know the difference.

I've never had it personally, but I know it's made from the "sparkling waters of the Genesee River". Pretty sure I saw a couch floating down that once. Couch could be a potential ingredient.

All kidding aside, it looks like a very light beer for a "brown". According to the website 4.5% ABV and 10 IBU. (Probably not much of a hop nose to it, so you can leave out aroma hops.

Shooting for OG 1.043, FG 1.008 (abv 4.56%)

For 5 gallons @ 70% efficiency maybe something like this:
  • 4.75 lb Pale Malt 2-row
  • .5 lb Honey Malt
  • .5 lb dark crystal (120L) malt
  • 2 lbs honey

For hops, .5 oz Cascade (5.0% AA) at 45 minutes giving you 10 IBU

Mash medium-low, like 150-152F to add more fermentables and hopefully dry the beer out a bit. The honey will help with that too. Pasteurize honey by adding it to hot wort at flameout and waiting 10 min before cooling.

Use a nice large starter of some clean-fermenting lager yeast and make sure you keep the ferment in the optimum range. After your ferment, lager the heck out of it making it a nice clean beer.

DISCLAIMER: I've never tasted the real thing. My mom loves the stuff though, so maybe I'll pick up a sixer and see what I can come up with.

Recipe note: mashing old couch is optional.

Back