Pitching a yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze

Reaction score
OK, so I made a yeast starter, but not certain how or what to pitch? Should I pour off the starter liquid and just use the yeast sediments from the bottom, or shake it up and pitch the whole thing?

OK, so I made a yeast starter, but not certain how or what to pitch? Should I pour off the starter liquid and just use the yeast sediments from the bottom, or shake it up and pitch the whole thing?

either way is OK.

If it's a small starter like a quart then I pitch the whole thing. If it's big like a half gallon then I pour the top part doen the drain and pitch only the yeast cake.

NOTE: To pour of the liquid it's best to let the starter go a bit longer so the yeast has time to finish growing and flocculate. If you did it to soon you'd end up wasting all the yeast that is still in suspension.

May be a dumb question but I am going to be pitching my first yeast starter tomorrow and does the yeast cake at the bottom pour out easy? If not, how does one get the cake pitched into the fermenter?

May be a dumb question but I am going to be pitching my first yeast starter tomorrow and does the yeast cake at the bottom pour out easy? If not, how does one get the cake pitched into the fermenter?

Just shake/swirl it before pouring, that'll get the yeast unstuck from the bottom.

Back