Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you add a frozen apple roll will that also help carbonate it? i plan on leaving mine in the fermenter for 4-5weeks then bottling im just not sure if i should prime with dextrose sugar or using an apple roll to add some sweetness/flavor

Gordzilla said:
if you add a frozen apple roll will that also help carbonate it? i plan on leaving mine in the fermenter for 4-5weeks then bottling im just not sure if i should prime with dextrose sugar or using an apple roll to add some sweetness/flavor

I'm wondering the same thing. I kegged my first batch and bottled off the keg, so I've never tried to bottle carb this stuff.

1/4 roll sounds right thinking ill probably take 3/4 add it to it during the last week and then take that last 1/4 to carb during bottling

HEllo all I'm a noob... I read this receipe and this sounds delicious! I might do this for my second batch! At the risk of sounding stupid there is no heat or stove involved in this receipe right? You're essentially just using apple juice, sugar and yeast correct? :rockin:

Just got the ingredients for my first batch!

Only making a half batch, but Aldi's had apple juice for only $1.29 for 2 quarts, so altogether the juice only cost me $6.45. And I got 4 pounds of dextrose for $5 (only gonna use 1lb out of). I am going to use K1-V1116 yeast I already have.

But I am going to get 2.5 gallons of apfelwein for only about $8!
I love it already.

1G Cider ($5.38)
6.4oz Dextrose (on hand)
1 Eng Ale (free, washed, on hand)

Sampled tonight after 4 weeks...taste is actually VERY good but still sweet with definite apple tones (dare say like apple juice). I know it was fermenting (and likely still is), but surprised it is still as sweet as it is.

Like others, I've read through most of this thread but it is hard to stay focused on 300+ pages and 7000+ posts.

So, will this continue to ferment and get dry and less apple flavored as advertised or am I at the point where the ale yeast really isn't cutting it? Should I toss in some Montra or Notty?

Thanks, anyone for some experienced input!

Sampled tonight after 4 weeks...taste is actually VERY good but still sweet with definite apple tones (dare say like apple juice). I know it was fermenting (and likely still is), but surprised it is still as sweet as it is.

Like others, I've read through most of this thread but it is hard to stay focused on 300+ pages and 7000+ posts.

So, will this continue to ferment and get dry and less apple flavored as advertised or am I at the point where the ale yeast really isn't cutting it? Should I toss in some Montra or Notty?

To get a real answer we need the starting and current gravity. You can also check gravity for 3-5 days in a row and if it is exactly the same each day the yeast has finished/stalled. If it *should* be fermenting but is stalled then make a starter with the same yeast type and pitch it in then wait a couple days. I mixed yeasts before and didnt care for it, but maybe i was imagining ale flavorings in my montrachet finished batch (someone else comment?). In the batch that turned out best I re-pitched after 3 weeks cause I knew it should not be done and it restarted just fine and went another 1.5-2 weeks. Anyway give us the OG and FG along with the yeast type and we can easily figure out if its stalled or done, but remember airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation as well as lack of airlock is not a sign of non-fermentation.

I just kegged five gallons of this a week ago, to drink this weekend. Carbing it on gas, not natural carb. It finished around .998 or so for the final gravity. Tasted good without carb, and it had a nice kick to it. Can't wait to pull a pint of this carbed up!

my bet is it will keep going, i usually let mine go for about 8 - 10 wks before it hits the bottle. than i carb using two cans of apple juice concentrate straight into the bottling bucket for 5 gallons of cider/applewine. the concentrate carbs it up like champagne and all the ladies seem to love it.....

my bet is it will keep going, i usually let mine go for about 8 - 10 wks before it hits the bottle. than i carb using two cans of apple juice concentrate straight into the bottling bucket for 5 gallons of cider/applewine. the concentrate carbs it up like champagne and all the ladies seem to love it.....

you carb this up and then bottle it? i was under the impression that if you carbed it you had to keg it because the bottles couldn't handle the carbonation without an explosive mess. Am I wrong Here?

Hi, I had mine in the fermenter for 2 months and then bottled it last sunday. Right now it tastes very boozy. Any one else experience this? I added 1 cup of corn sugar to 6 gallons of apple juice.

you carb this up and then bottle it? i was under the impression that if you carbed it you had to keg it because the bottles couldn't handle the carbonation without an explosive mess. Am I wrong Here?

Well wine bottles can not handle it but PET bottles, champaign and beer bottles can.

Carbonation (if not forced by artificial pressure) is a function of yeast being reactivated by the introduction of sugar to the fermented solution, then capped/bottled. Pay careful attention to the size of your batch AND the amount of sugar added, and you you will be fine. If you add too much sugar before bottling, you risk blowing caps or making bottle bombs. Too little sugar, and you will have poor carbonation. After capping, wait a few weeks at room temp, and you should have carbonation.

So I stopped by LHBS this morning and just my luck- they were out of corn sugar. Think I'll be ok substituting table sugar?

use brown sugar or honey...ive heard bad things about reg table sugar. Ive used light brown sugar on alot of brews with good results

Well much as I wanted to stick to Ed's original recipe, I went with the table sugar. Maybe next batch... Didn't feel like going back out to the store. I literally just assembled it and it's already bubbling about once every 5 minutes at about 70'F. Can't wait for it to really start rolling.

Brown sugar and honey are interesting to ferment and can leave off flavors.

If you cant get dextrose, just use regular sugar/

I just put my first batch together last night, about 11 hours later I just got home from work and its bubbling along.

I just got a hydrometer not that long ago. When exactly am I suppose to measure to get the starting gravity? Is it as soon as I mix everything together? Or do I wait a day? I have no idea.

billcom6 said:
I just put my first batch together last night, about 11 hours later I just got home from work and its bubbling along.

I just got a hydrometer not that long ago. When exactly am I suppose to measure to get the starting gravity? Is it as soon as I mix everything together? Or do I wait a day? I have no idea.

Before you add the yeast.

When Should I bottle??

Ok I made 3 gallons of this just like the recipe says on January 15th. It has been sitting in a carboy ever since. I am having a party on April 16th at my house.
So when would be the best time to bottle and maximize flavor?
I know it gets better with time, but I want to have at least a couple 22oz bottles of this for my party.
Should I wait until beginning of April or should I bottle now and let it sit in bottles for a month??

Does anyone drink this flat or is it recommended carbonated?

KoedBrew said:

I'm on my first batch but I think it's a matter of personal preference with the majority preferring it carbed. Lots of good info at beginning of this thread though.

When Should I bottle??

Ok I made 3 gallons of this just like the recipe says on January 15th. It has been sitting in a carboy ever since. I am having a party on April 16th at my house.
I know it gets better with time, but I want to have at least a couple 22oz bottles of this for my party.
Should I wait until beginning of April or should I bottle now and let it sit in bottles for a month??

I would go ahead and bottle if your brew is still on lees. Currently you are bulk aging and that creates a more uniform flavor. After you bottle it is possible for one bottle to taste a bit different than another over time. As far as carbonation goes it is a matter of preference but I love flat wines and tried a bit of mine carbonated and wish I had done the whole batch. There is more obvious apple flavor and I just like it better and will not make another flat batch. You can always put some in a 2 liter bottle and carb it just to try.

When Should I bottle??

The best batch I've made sat in the primary, on the yeast, for 6 months before I got around to kegging it.

Either way will work. If you have time now, bottle now. The difference between it being in the carboy for an extra week and a half will not be noticeable.

I've had it both ways. Both ways are good. However, I tend to prefer it carbonated.

I like sparkling, tastes like a Brut Champagne if you finish it dry.

Also, if you want it to age better/faster, take it off the lees into another vessel and bulk age. Wine and I am sure Apfelwein will age faster when kept in bulk as opposed to in single bottles. I bulk aged for 3 or 4 months before bottling and there was still enough yeast for bottle conditioning to 3+ volumes CO2

I only leave mine in primary for about a month and let it age in bottles for longer. That way I can sample when I wish :)

I made a batch on Dec 10 of last year and just got around to bottle/kegging it this weekend. 3 months on the yeast cake.

It tastes awesome and is crystal clear. It actually tastes better than the previous batch in a side by side compairison.

I made a batch on Dec 10 of last year and just got around to bottle/kegging it this weekend. 3 months on the yeast cake.

It tastes awesome and is crystal clear. It actually tastes better than the previous batch in a side by side compairison.

"First, your avatar is almost annoying enough for me to not reply. Just sayin." :D :cross::p

Went to out to change out ice and the airlock was knocked off by someone in the house. Thank you all holy beer god to losing the housemates in the next few months when I move. Someone decided that placing the garbage on top of my freezer and around my swamp cooler was a better option than in a trash can outside. Here is to hoping it fights off anything that got inside.

I like sparkling, tastes like a Brut Champagne if you finish it dry.

Also, if you want it to age better/faster, take it off the lees into another vessel and bulk age. Wine and I am sure Apfelwein will age faster when kept in bulk as opposed to in single bottles. I bulk aged for 3 or 4 months before bottling and there was still enough yeast for bottle conditioning to 3+ volumes CO2

Why bother taking it off the lees?

just started my 2nd batch of edworts, went with turbinano sugar in the raw for this batch....i pulled a rookie move though. Im thinking about how i can get the sugar into the car boy without making a mess so i just dumped it down the funnel 2lbs of it. I then realized hey it would have been great if the sugar was disolved before i added it. Hopefully the yeast are still able to eat that sugar up. I just Lalvin ec-1118 and 5gals of old orchard 100% apple juice(on sale for .97cents/32oz-i used 10bottles)

Overall not bad, total cost 15$ the taste of edworts this summer priceless

hey guys does anyone know if you can use "Mayer Bros Apple Cider" that shaws supermarkets sell? I dont really have any Costco near me to get Top Tree... wondering what other brands are good for the receipe! Thanks in advance! guys!

Back