anybody ever make a dark/black ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
i know that the word "dark" and "pale" don't really go together, so maybe this is a style that already exists under another name, and i'm just not familiar with it.

what i'm curious about, as dumb as it may seem, is making a beer that looks like a java stout, as far as the color, like really dark, black, but tastes completely like a nice, hoppy ipa, like stone ipa for example.

i would assume this could be doable, by using some dark roasted malts that impart only color, but no flavors, and then just hop it like an ipa, but i don't know. thought i'd ask here for some advice, experience, whatever, before i tried one myself.

i know that the word "dark" and "pale" don't really go together, so maybe this is a style that already exists under another name, and i'm just not familiar with it.
You could call it an India Black Ale if it makes you more comfortable. It's actually pretty trendy right now, I have been seeing these at just about every beer competition and tasting going on recently. The best one I have had so far was the Black Hatter at New Holland about 3 years ago.

You could call it an India Black Ale if it makes you more comfortable. It's actually pretty trendy right now, I have been seeing these at just about every beer competition and tasting going on recently. The best one I have had so far was the Black Hatter at New Holland about 3 years ago.

once again, i think i've come up with a cool, fresh, interesting idea, only to find out it's already happening. like the time i thought i invented the internet, and french kissing. :ban:

so does anybody have a recipe for something like this? or good advice on what malts to use to impart a black color to the beer without effecting taste? and should i just add whatever grains those are to an existing ipa recipe, or should those "dark" grains be replacing other grains in the "regular" ipa recipe?

Yeah, there is pretty much NOTHING that hasn't been done somewhere by someone. A couple times I have thought I came up with something totally unique only to find some commercial brewery did it already after I brewed it. Don't let it keep you down though, cause you can always put your own twist on it and try to do it better than the previous brewer.

The best way to keep the flavor to a minimum might be this stuff:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/sinamar-4-oz.html
I have never tried it but I have heard it adds very little flavor.

A friend of mine in my brewclub just brought a bottle he made using, like, every hop known to man. My thoughts were that the roast made the hop intensity more palatable... but then, I'm not a big fan of hoppy beers, so anything that introduces a roastiness or maltiness is welcome in my book!

What also sold it was that he made it a very light body, which makes it more quaffable.

A friend of mine in my brewclub just brought a bottle he made using, like, every hop known to man. My thoughts were that the roast made the hop intensity more palatable... but then, I'm not a big fan of hoppy beers, so anything that introduces a roastiness or maltiness is welcome in my book!

What also sold it was that he made it a very light body, which makes it more quaffable.

Aye - and he posted his recipe here.

Sinamar is made from Carafa II, I believe. Lots of SRM with zero flavor contribution.

I'll get my recipe up soon, but the key is to just color it and give it a kiss of roast. I like dehusked Carafa-III and a touch of Black Patent. I don't recall exactly how much I used, but I wanna say maybe 3oz of the Carafa and an ounce of BP. And use super assertive hops and at a higher rate than usual if you want to eliminate any roasty flavors. I went with Simcoe & Amarillo, though Centennial would work quite well.

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale was a Black IPA

This is what I got directly from Stone Brewery about a month ago. Have not brewed it up yet, but will very soon. XI is by far one of my top favorites.

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale Recipe

Grain Bill:

90% pale malt

5% 60°L Crystal

5% Weyermann Carafa III Special

OG target is 20.5°P (1.082 SG) Terminal Gravity target is 4°P (1.016 SG)

Hops:

Bittering at start of boil: 100% Chinook

Flavor hops added at end of boil or whirlpool: 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo

Target 120 IBU’s.

Ferment with good ale yeast. We used our house yeast.

Dry-Hop with 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, use LOTS! (we used 1 ½ pounds per barrel).

Good luck and enjoy. Post up if you brew it, let us know how it is.

thanks everyone for the input!
well, i just got back from the lhbs and bought some ingrediants. kind of went on a whim, and just guessed on some stuff using my experiences, and some common sense for a 75ibu black ipa, with a hint of roastiness.

if anyone can take the time to actually put this info into a program, and copy/paste the results for me it would be greatly appreciated! also any more input would be great too.

here's what i bought, and what i'm thinking

11lbs of 2row

1lb of crystal 60

1lb of carafa III

1/2lb of munich

1/2lb of biscuit

1/2lb of aromatic

hop schedule------

1/2 oz of chinook 11.47%-60 minutes

3/4oz of centennial 8.5%-45 minutes

3/4oz of cascade 7.5%-30 minutes

3/4oz of columis 14.8%-15 minutes

1oz of cascade 7.5%-5 minutes

wyeast 1098 british ale yeast

look good?

I make a garnet RyePA just because my wife's favorite stone is garnet. I simply took my favorite beer recipe and added a little black patent.

thanks everyone for the input!
well, i just got back from the lhbs and bought some ingrediants. kind of went on a whim, and just guessed on some stuff using my experiences, and some common sense for a 75ibu black ipa, with a hint of roastiness.

if anyone can take the time to actually put this info into a program, and copy/paste the results for me it would be greatly appreciated! also any more input would be great too.

here's what i bought, and what i'm thinking

11lbs of 2row

1lb of crystal 60

1lb of carafa III

1/2lb of munich

1/2lb of biscuit

1/2lb of aromatic

hop schedule------

1/2 oz of chinook 11.47%-60 minutes

3/4oz of centennial 8.5%-45 minutes

3/4oz of cascade 7.5%-30 minutes

3/4oz of columis 14.8%-15 minutes

1oz of cascade 7.5%-5 minutes

wyeast 1098 british ale yeast

look good?

I'm not sure how much roast you're looking for, but I'd probably drop the Carafa III down to 6oz, otherwise you'll end up with a hoppy porter, imho. I'd probably also redo the hop bill and eliminate the 45 & 30 minute additions and push them both closer to the end of boil/dry hop. :mug:

I'm not sure how much roast you're looking for, but I'd probably drop the Carafa III down to 6oz, otherwise you'll end up with a hoppy porter, imho. I'd probably also redo the hop bill and eliminate the 45 & 30 minute additions and push them both closer to the end of boil/dry hop. :mug:

I'm going to agree with this for sure.
I used to do the 45 and 30 minute additions, but found that I got allot more hoppy goodness by increasing the 60 minute addition, and then waiting until the 15, 5 and 0 marks.

The best beer I have made in the time that I have been brewing was a super hoppy black IPA modeled after Stone's Anniversary XI, or Sublimely Self Riteous. It is so simple it made my head spin. It is like drinking a black hop syrup - absolutely unbelievable and remarkably quick to ferment.

Here you go:

7 Gal. Batch

21lbs. Great Western Two Row
1lb. Carafa II
1lb. Crystal 60

4oz. Chinook pellets (90 min.)
1.5oz. Amarillo pellets (0 min.)
1.5oz. Simcoe pellets (0 min.)
1.5oz. Amarillo pellets (dry hop 10 days)
1.5oz. Simcoe pellets (dry hop 10 days)

This was mashed for 60 minutes at 152-3
The pre-boil gravity was 1.066
The boil was 90 minutes
The post-boil gravity was 1.091
The final gravity was 1.018
The alcohol content was 9.57% ABV
The IBU was 118
The color was 28.4 SRM

I ended with just under 7 gallons and pitched on half of a yeast cake of WLP001 California Ale Yeast.

The second batch I did was pitched on a cake of Wyeast 1968, which I think is closer to Stone's house yeast. But the WLP 001 made a wonderful beer and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

THere was a thread on the Stone XI beer a while back.

I made it and a friend made it too. Best beer I have made. My friends was great too.

Back