Did I mess up the starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First starter I am trying to make, went on the internet and found out how to do it, and totally ignored what they said. For some reason I had two cups DME in my head, so I boiled 4 cups water, two cups DME and added 1056 after it has cooled. It this going to be stressing the yeast too much, plan on making a higher gravity IIPA from a modified Brew House kit.

IMHO, if you dump out the wort from the top of the yeast cake in your starter, you should be fine. Your yeast probably created some off-flavors in the wort in an attempt rapidly reproduce enough to consume the higher-gravity wort. You don't want to add that wort to the rest of your wort.

I would advise you also make another, better balanced starter for your yeast to make sure you have enough cells.

This morning there is definite fermentation going on, so if I left it for a couple of days then cooled will it still work. And I am planning to decant and pitch the slurry only.

Brewed this up Friday night, by Saturday morning it was bubbling away, and is still going strong today. Got it fermenting in the water bucket/towel cooler right now. Dry hop again next weekend. Fingers crossed.

It will be fine, a 1 liter starter pitched into 5 gallons of wort will have a negligeable impact, even if off-flavors were produced in the starter wort. The yeast will not continue to produce off-flavors as long as fermentation temps are controlled, and the yeast will clean up any off flavors after fermentation if there are any lingering from the starter.

RDWHAHB!:mug:

Latest posts

Back