I scored a rad beer cooler - kegerator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
Well, I made out well today I think- you tell me. I purchased this keg cooler today from a gentleman that did not care to know what he had. He said he bought it from a working bar and was intending on scrapping it. I paid $200!

I have given it a good whirl now, and it is in good working order! I have plenty of spare parts in case a compressor goes bad, or cool-pack leaks etc, so I am not worried about that.

It came with 5- sanke keg connectors, 2 pressure gauges, and 5-faucets on 2-towers.

Some things needing fixed:
-door seals (I am hoping that I can find a roll that I can custom make some).
-door hinges
-a small pucker in the black finished area that I might tile or ??

That is about it.

QUESTIONS:
-you see the area where 'bottles' would be merchandised 'cold'. I do not intend on ever having bottles but wanted to see what you might think about putting a few keg burners (elevated and in a way to not damage the unit) there-- so I can do my brewing on it. I would assume that the heat would sent upwards if I elevate. The weight load should be fine since it is designed for ice+100 bottles of beer.

You input appreciated!
14koG.jpeg

14kph.jpeg

I don't know anything about converting it to a combo rig/serving station, but it seems like you got a good deal. In my brief hunt for towers, aesthetically pleasing brass towers don't come cheap. If you don't end up using the whole rig, you'd probably make some good money just cleaning up and selling the parts. Nice find!

I would think the heat generated might make the compressor work a bit harder than it needs to. YMMV

I would think the heat generated might make the compressor work a bit harder than it needs to. YMMV

Agreed - but you do what you want to with this thing. I think it's really cool (especially the tap towers) and I would say it was a steal.

For the record, perhaps my favorite thing about HBT and homebrewers in general is their frugality / ingenuity. Definitely gives some validation to my "cheap" side.

That would be my main concern too-. The area where you can place ice and bottled beer, is VERY sturdy/thick gauge steel-- which almost acts as a cold plate. You can touch it when the unit is on and it is COLD! - I am almost concerned with this in that I will hardly ever have bottles.

I am temped to figure a way to insulate it any way (like some cover) until I might have a party and bring on the bottles! This would make the unit more efficient overall and then enable me to brew a little above.

Personally I think you got a steal, and a fine conversation piece. I would also not mix brewing and drinking, never seems to go too well.

Latest posts

Back