Need help with new kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number2320

Reaction score
:confused: Hello. I have lurked on the boards for over a year now, but am now posting because I need some advice on choosing between 3 brew kettles.

I will be using this for AG's. I will be doing these in my kitchen on newer 5 burner natural gas stove (I live in a townhouse)...sometimes I will be able to use a propane burner when I brew at my friends, but 80% of the time in my kitchen.

1) 2 Weld SS 15 gallon w/therm & ball valve $185 shipped http://www.homebrewing.org/2-Weld-15-gallon-SS-Brew-Pot_p_2756.html - at least I could have the option of 10g batches at my friends, and wont have to worry about boil overs in my kitchen. but is this just too big?

2) 2 weld SS 9 gallon w/therm & ball valve $138 shipped.http://www.homebrewing.org/2-WELD-9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Brew-Pot-_p_1684.html I am afraid this will be too small and I will outgrow it/boilovers, but i do like the price and 2 welds.

3) 10.5 gallon SS with stainless stell ball valve $126 shipped.http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/42-qt-economy-graduated-brew-pot-w-stainless-ball-valve/ this is nice, but I would prefer a two weld.

I have been trying to decide for the past 2 weeks with no luck...

I think if there was a 10.5 gallon two weld in these price ranges I would choose that without a doubt...

Thanks in advance for any input

I say go big or go home! :D Get the 15 gallon so you don't have to worry about a new brew pot if you move up to 10 gallon batches. Saw a friend at Big Brew Day at our local brew shop with a 15 and while it looks huge, it was awesome!

I have the 9 gallon and use a propane burner and I find that I am still close to the top when I brew. I usually start with a 7.5-8 gallon pre-boil because of boil off and cool down loss, therefore have to ALWAYS be on the watch for a boil over.

10.5 gallon also good if you stay at 5 gallon batches, but if you every think of going 10, then it's took small.

I would agree. Saving $60 now seems like a good thing, but then you'll be shelling out $185 ON TOP of whatever you get now if you go smaller. So, save $60 now, spend $185 later = +$125 or get the $185 15g. pot now and SAVE $126.

Sorry if that's not clear:

$126
+$185
_______
$311

Or just $185 now.

I like the "go big or go home" mantra....And nobody thinks the stove top would be an issue with the 15 gallon pot? I would only be doing 5 gallon batches on the stove.

If not I am pulling the trigger tonight...

I like the "go big or go home" mantra....And nobody thinks the stove top would be an issue with the 15 gallon pot? I would only be doing 5 gallon batches on the stove.

If not I am pulling the trigger tonight...

Well, every stove is different. There's no guarantee how much water you can boil, but check the dimensions of the pots and see if the larger one can either fit evenly over your burner or straddle two burners.

The other option is that if it won't boil for some reason on your stove, throw a bucket-heater in it and it will surely boil with stove+BH.

2) 2 weld SS 9 gallon w/therm & ball valve $138 shipped.http://www.homebrewing.org/2-WELD-9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Brew-Pot-_p_1684.html I am afraid this will be too small and I will outgrow it/boilovers, but i do like the price and 2 welds.

I have this exact setup and love it. The 9g is perfect size for 5g batches (6.5-7.5g boils), especially with foam control (Fermcap-S). But I have no intention of moving to 10g batches.

No idea if a kitchen stove can handle a 10g batch, but a lot of people can barely handle a 5g batch on their stove. Check burner power & ventilation.

I have this exact setup and love it. The 9g is perfect size for 5g batches (6.5-7.5g boils), especially with foam control (Fermcap-S). But I have no intention of moving to 10g batches.

No idea if a kitchen stove can handle a 10g batch, but a lot of people can barely handle a 5g batch on their stove. Check burner power & ventilation.

Oh, there's almost no question the stove can't handle a 10g. batch, but when he get's to that point he can throw a turkey burner outside and easily solve that. In the meantime there's a good chance the stove can boil ~7g. in a 15g. pot but there's no guarantee.

Is it a gas stove? Electric? Glass top?

The 15g. pot is probably 16" wide I'd guess. Will that straddle two burners?

In reading threads like this over and over, if the kettle cannot straddle two burners you will not be able to adequately boil full 5 gallon batches, much less anything bigger.

Well, every stove is different. There's no guarantee how much water you can boil, but check the dimensions of the pots and see if the larger one can either fit evenly over your burner or straddle two burners.

The other option is that if it won't boil for some reason on your stove, throw a bucket-heater in it and it will surely boil with stove+BH.

I have a 2 year old stove with a powerful "quick boil" burner. I am pretty sure I can straddle the two burners.

I feel dumb for saying this, but what is a bucket heater? I have not heard that mentioned before on the boards...

Its a submersible heating element for keeping buckets of water from freezing in winter. Put in wort, plug in, turn on, adds a lot of heat.

Back