Leaving Oats in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billn3

Reaction score
Brewed an oatmeal stout (o.g. 1.074) on Oct. 19 (two weeks ago). For no particular reason I didn't filter the oats out when dumping into the primary, and decided to experiment and just leave them in there. Had a busy couple of weeks and am just now moving to a secondary to add coffee and spices tonight. I know it's a little late to ask now, but has anyone ever done this before or have any guesses as to how it will turn out?

Brewed an oatmeal stout (o.g. 1.074) on Oct. 19 (two weeks ago). For no particular reason I didn't filter the oats out when dumping into the primary, and decided to experiment and just leave them in there. Had a busy couple of weeks and am just now moving to a secondary to add coffee and spices tonight. I know it's a little late to ask now, but has anyone ever done this before or have any guesses as to how it will turn out?

The oats should go in the mash, not the boil or the primary. You may have a ton of starch if you boiled the oats.

It's an extract brew and my HBS recommended throwing oats in the boil at 15 min

Back