SCOBYs Are Useless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried Wholesome Brand organic cane sugar. a new brewer and picked this up at Sprouts Farmers Market.

Wholesome_Organic_Cane_Sugar_2LB.jpg

Looks nice, seems like it would probably still be viable. I'm sure you'll know after the first sacrificial batch. If you do end up needing a new one, let me know I could drop one in the mail to you. I have about three water crock size 10" scobies I put in the compost ever couple weeks when I clean out my continuous brewers.
Hi would you be willing to send me a scoby? I have had more than a few issues since I started kombucha making and I would really appreciate not having to keep buying them. It’s crazy how much one costs online considering many people just throw them away because they have so many! Anyway I would sure appreciate any help. Please message me if you see this and have an extra scoby. Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi would you be willing to send me a scoby? I have had more than a few issues since I started kombucha making and I would really appreciate not having to keep buying them. It’s crazy how much one costs online considering many people just throw them away because they have so many! Anyway I would sure appreciate any help. Please message me if you see this and have an extra scoby. Thx
Omg embarrassing! I didn’t realize the op was so long ago😬😬Thank you, moderator!

Most important is to add enough acidic starter tea to get the pH low. I have a 1000 liter tank dedicated to starter. It’s usually about 2.9 to 3.1 pH. When I pitch, I use 20% starter which usually drops my new batch to around 3.7 pH.

You have to get the new batch to at least less than 4.2 pH.

Back