Iodophor compared to Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
I've always used Iodophor and really like it. No rinsing...I have Star San that came with a kit a while ago. I want to use it up and get rid of it so I can go back to Iodophor.

Do you use Star San the same way? Soak and let drip dry? It says 1 oz. per 5 gal. of water. Do you weigh 1 oz. or is it about a tablespoon per 5 gal. like Iodophor?

Thanks for any help...

I've always used Iodophor and really like it. No rinsing...I have Star San that came with a kit a while ago. I want to use it up and get rid of it so I can go back to Iodophor.

Do you use Star San the same way? Soak and let drip dry? It says 1 oz. per 5 gal. of water. Do you weigh 1 oz. or is it about a tablespoon per 5 gal. like Iodophor?

Thanks for any help...

Both are a wet contact sanitizer, which means that for the sanitizer to work, you shouldn't let them get dry. they do work the same way though.

I would measure out a liquid ounce rather than using a tablespoon. I guess an ounce would be two tbsp when it comes down to it.

hehehehe, it will probably take you numerous number of brews for you to use up all that Star San. I am up to my 4th or 5th brews and it is not even 1/3 of the little bottle.

Anyways, I think Star San is a very good no-rinse sanitizier. Both should work very well for you. Just that Star San tends to foam a bit too muchh.

I buy bulk Dairy Iodophor Sanitizer, a gallon for 20 bucks...I'll never run out.

BTW, you don't let EITHER starsan or iodophor dry, They are "wet contact" sanitizers, meaning as long as the surface is wet with sanitizer, it kills anything that comes in contact with it...if you allow it to dry, you may have sanitized the surface, but the minute something lands on it (or in it in the case of bottles) then you are no longer sanitized.

Duly noted. Thanks.:mug:

Evidently in some states there is difficulty in buying it without proof that you are a rancher. Supposedly bulk iodine can be used in the making of metamphetamines, so some members of this here community have reported not being able to purchase it. I have had no trouble here in Michigan though.

Evidently in some states there is difficulty in buying it without proof that you are a rancher. Supposedly bulk iodine can be used in the making of metamphetamines, so some members of this here community have reported not being able to purchase it. I have had no trouble here in Michigan though.

Damn, that's what I was buying it for too. The local high school is just around the corner and I was looking to make some extra cash.;)

I know a guy in the upstate that has some farmland and shops at Tractor Supply all the time. I'll have him pick it up for me. Then I'm laughing all the way to the bank....er....brew house.:D

Damn, that's what I was buying it for too. The local high school is just around the corner and I was looking to make some extra cash.;)

I know a guy in the upstate that has some farmland and shops at Tractor Supply all the time. I'll have him pick it up for me. Then I'm laughing all the way to the bank....er....brew house.:D

This is what I get Dionne Gentle Iodine 1%, 1 gal

2209723.jpg

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_50164_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Now it differs with btf iodophor from the lhbs, in 2 ways...

First btf's is 1.5 percent whereas this is 1 percent. So when I mix it up I use 1.5 tbs/5 gallons of water (but I've mixed so many batches of iodophor up, that I can usually just mix by eye, if I'm making small batches.)

Secondly, if you mix it with running water and add it in your container first, it will foam up...not like starsan, but it will have a lot of bubbles on the surface...You can wait to add the iodine once you've filled your container, wait til the bubbles settle down, or you can do what I do and add a drop or 2 of fermcap foam control to it...

It's cheap and it works!

:mug:

^^^Thanks again for the information. I recently made the decision to switch to iodophor because I had a small problem with the One Step that I had been using. Specifically I didn't like seeing the residue that it left on the outside of my bottles. If it's on the outside, it's most likely on the inside too right? I've heard real good things about iodophor on the board so as much as I hate conformity, I'll follow the pack.

lmao I had to google metamphetamines...i feel old and out of the know.....wait I've heard of crystal meth! Remember if anyone asks why your buying it just pretend to fall asleep its a treatment for narcolepsy.

lmao I had to google metamphetamines...i feel old and out of the know.....wait I've heard of crystal meth! Remember if anyone asks why your buying it just pretend to fall asleep its a treatment for narcolepsy.

OMG...I never looked before, but I googled "iodine Crystal Meth" and the recipe came up, and it does indeed contain iodine...geez...another great product we use which will be harder to come by....

No wonder people who see us brewing outside think we're making meth. :rolleyes:

This is what I get Dionne Gentle Iodine 1%, 1 gal

2209723.jpg

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_50164_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Now it differs with btf iodophor from the lhbs, in 2 ways...

First btf's is 1.5 percent whereas this is 1 percent. So when I mix it up I use 1.5 tbs/5 gallons of water (but I've mixed so many batches of iodophor up, that I can usually just mix by eye, if I'm making small batches.)

Secondly, if you mix it with running water and add it in your container first, it will foam up...not like starsan, but it will have a lot of bubbles on the surface...You can wait to add the iodine once you've filled your container, wait til the bubbles settle down, or you can do what I do and add a drop or 2 of fermcap foam control to it...

It's cheap and it works!

:mug:

I was just at TSC last night to buy some Iodophor and skipped on buying this cause it wasn't the same thing lol. Guess I can run back there and get this :)

Latest posts

Back