Change in fermentation over short period

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robklein

Reaction score
I have another newb question. My batch was fermenting vigorously after the first 12 hours, about 2 bubbles/second, but after about 36 hours, fermentation has slowed to bubbling every 30 seconds. I may be over analyzing, but this is my first batch and i want to get it right!

btw: fermentation started at 72 F but has since cooled to 66F.

Don't worry - have a homebrew!

I think it'll be allright. Bubbling will slow to a near standstill as there is less and less suger available.

and just because it stops bubbling doesn't mean its ready to rack or bottle! airlock activity is hit and miss for gauging fermentation.

the hydrometer is the only way to know.

hey thanks for the advice. also, how often should i take hydrometer readings so i do not over expose my beer to contamination.

hey thanks for the advice. also, how often should i take hydrometer readings so i do not over expose my beer to contamination.
Wait 7-10 days and take a reading. If it is done then you could transfer to a secondary container or leave it another 10 days and bottle it.

Some folks draw out the sample with a turkey baster. A wine theif is pretty handy for that as well. 66 degress is a good temp.

Back