Undecided about a Bayou KAB6 for $50

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richfei

Reaction score
I'm currently doing partial boils inside and eventually would like to do build a Rubbermaid mashtun lauter and do full 5 gallon boils outside and go all grain
I saw a Bayou KAB6 advertised for $50 locally
I'm assuming this is a good price
Bearing in mind that I doubt that I want to do more than 5 gallon boils (I like variety and don't want to brew so much at once) and I'm looking for an efficient burner, is the KAB6 overkill ?
I hear that it consumes a lot of propane and I wouldn't get more than a few batches from it before a refill is needed, compared to other burners
Would I be better served finding a lower BTU burner i.e an SQ14, SP10 or something else or just get the KAB6 and just try and regulate it as best I can ?

This model generally sells for between $100 and $150, so if you can grab it for $50, it's a steal. It is highly rated, and will have more power than you'll ever need to boil 5 gallons.

Since it has a built in regulator, you can control heat output (and thus propane consumption) by simply turning it down . . . remember, any time you see flames come out around the bottom of a pot, you're wasting heat. A lot of people just buy these things and put as much power on the pot as they can . . . but the truth is, you get the BEST heat transfer to the liquid when the flames are adjusted properly. Let me put it to you this way, you wouldn't put your smallest cooking pot on your biggest burner all the way on high . . . so don't do it with your brew kettle. Keep the flame properly adjusted, and you'll boil quicker without wasting propane.

If you can afford it buy whatever stock they have remaining. Advertise on CL New for $75 ea and make enough money to get yours for free, plus. If you decide on another burner sell them all and use the money to get whatever you decide on. Do not hesitate, do not pass go. If they are the real deal buy them.

That's a pretty sweet price on a KAB6! About half off from the Amazon price.

It's something like 200K BTUs? There's a lot of power in that burner. I have an SQ14 which is only rated at 55K. I use it for 11 gallon batches and it works fine. Heating up 6-7 gallons would be a cinch and not much propane wasted.

I should have added, that the item has been used lightly so it's not new. Also apologies, if I should have posted this to the Equipment forum

Back