Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMMODOG

Reaction score
I brewed a Chocolate Milk Stout three weeks ago. OG was 1.061, I used Safale s-04 dry yeast, without a starter. After two weeks I moved to a secondary and took another reading, it was 1.023. I fermented at 65f. Will the FG continue to go down? I plan to leave for another week or two before I keg and then let sit for awhile more, found the last batch aged well.

Well it could go down depending on your recipe however you should not transfer a typical ale until it has reached final gravity, the way you tell that is to take gravity readings, if the gravity is stable over a 3 day period then you're good. For most average OG beers I typically wait 3 weeks to take the first gravity reading.

As COLObrewer stated, maybe it will and maybe it won't. Take gravity readings a few days apart and see if you continue to get movement. If so, it's still working and if not, then you've likely reached the end of the line as far as gravity is concerned.

Was it all-grain or partial mash? If all-grain, at what temp did you mash? What was your recipe and expected FG?

Regardless, it's not a good idea to transfer to secondary until it's reached FG or is real close. Moving it off the yeast before it's done is not likely to help it finish, though the gravity would continue to drop if there are fermentables still remaining, but it will take longer than if you had left it in primary until it reached FG.

All Grain, Mashed at 152f. Never really done the readings until I either go to secondary or keg. I have a feeling this could be one of two things now; I just purchased a temp controller and had it cooler than I ever had. OR, after reading a lot more posts the yeast counts were not good enough. Had just the dry yeast I hydrated for an hour or so, but no starter. I do not have a thief yet, just never felt I needed it as I usually wait to keg for three or four weeks. thanks.

Remember that lactose adds to your FG, as it's nonfermentable. A pound of lactose in a 5 gallon batch adds .009 to the FG (and the OG). So, you may be about right for a milk stout.

Yooper, I have not read that anywhere and will have to look that up. 1.061 OG, 1.023 so far, which is not bad, but .009 would certainly be pretty decent. I also think I could get a couple more points over a couple weeks. I think it was very slow ferment and should have waited a bit.

My ale stopped fermenting two days ago and I check OG. It sat a 1.022. Wish it would be 1.010. So your all saying just wait for it to be a steady OG for a fee days then move it? But it might still fall too?

It might still fall. Help the yeast along by getting them where it is a little warmer. As the yeast start fermenting you want it cool to keep them from running away and creating off flavors but that period only takes 3 or 4 days normally. Once the easy sugars are gone they like it warmer as they work their way through the cleanup. I bring mine to room temp and it seems that they finish where they should.

RM-MN said:
It might still fall. Help the yeast along by getting them where it is a little warmer. As the yeast start fermenting you want it cool to keep them from running away and creating off flavors but that period only takes 3 or 4 days normally. Once the easy sugars are gone they like it warmer as they work their way through the cleanup. I bring mine to room temp and it seems that they finish where they should.

That's good to know. I'm still new to this. I can only ferment at room temp. I don't have a refrigerator to put them in. It's work great for me now so I'll just do it that way untill I get a lager.

All Grain, Mashed at 152f. Never really done the readings until I either go to secondary or keg. I have a feeling this could be one of two things now; I just purchased a temp controller and had it cooler than I ever had. OR, after reading a lot more posts the yeast counts were not good enough. Had just the dry yeast I hydrated for an hour or so, but no starter. I do not have a thief yet, just never felt I needed it as I usually wait to keg for three or four weeks. thanks.

Also, don't leave your rehydrated yeast hanging around for an hour, they begin to starve fairly quickly. Rehydration should only take about 30 minutes and that is if you are tempering it by gradually adding a little wort every 10 minutes to get the temperatures matched.

Back