Draft Boxes & Cold Plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with draft boxes or cold plates? I don't see much chatter about these here.

I'm thinking about buying a mini draft system using 2.5 gal cornies. However I like the use of my fridge for storing my 1Qrt. bottles too.

If you put a draft plate or two in a fridge could you keep all the cornies outside of the fridge?

I have alot of useless spacer under the shelves at the bottom were I have drawers. That's why I ask.

In general what experiences have you had with draft boxes and cold plates?

Thanks - :mug:

I've setup draft boxes at many a fest, but nothing like you are proposing. One problem with cold plates (which may not occur in a fridge) that are iced, foam freezing in the lines when you done draw one for a while.

For your application, a plate might work. Keep in mind that the heat transfer air to metal in a fridge is slow and you could end up with warm ale when pulling many pints.

david_42 said:
For your application, a plate might work. Keep in mind that the heat transfer air to metal in a fridge is slow and you could end up with warm ale when pulling many pints.

Good Point! I didn't consider that. - Thanks!!

Now I'm thinking ~18' of 5/16" copper tubing carefully bent could soak in one the crisper drawers filled with H20.

Hmmmm....

I used to use a cold plate, but I was the only one tapping the keg. Kept my beer quite cool! Put in a refrigerator, and had the cornies outside. I had to open the icebox, plug in the corny, and get a beer.

Now, if you were serving a few...

steve

Latest posts

Back