Best scale for real small measurements.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl

Reaction score
I did a search on here and online trying to find a scale that will give me accurate measurements. I have a large and small manul scale but I was trying to weight 1/2 of small cinnamon stick and didn't even move it. Want to be as accurate as I can. Any ideas of scale that will go that low?

Definitely go to a headshop. They always have huge selections and you'll probably find a couple really good deals.

american weight are pretty nice and accurate. and cheap.

i use it for all my gram-level measurements.

All cheap digital scales are crap! If you want accurate measurements you need to get a beam scale. My 505 is accurate to better than 70,000 of a pound and only cost $50.00

Cheap or GREAT, you're choice... Personally, I have the second one and love it. Super accurate, sure, it only goes up to 11oz, but I have confidence that it's very accurate.

Out of curiosity, I just used it on the reference weights I have for my powder scale (20 and 50 gram weights)... These are the same ones I use to calibrate the powder scale. It's dead-nuts with them.

If I'm comparing the AWS500 I carry to the one on williams, mine is accurate to .1grams (.003oz) and can handle just over a pound but at half the price. In any case, there are a lot of great scales to choose from in the sub $20 area. I ordered a bunch of different AWS scales and played around with them before selecting this one.

I've had the same AWS scale since I started brewing (2007) and it's hanging in there like a champ. I've been meaning to get a better one though since mine only has an accuracy of +/- 0.1 gram.

Bobby_M said:
Check out the one I sell. Link below.

+1 I got the one BobbyM sells. Alot more accurate than my old one I got from HF (it goes higher though, so I'll keep it to measure grain)

I was using a digital scale I picked up from Bed Bath and Beyond when I started out. But since it wasn't nearly as accurate, or sensitive, at small measurements, I picked up the one from Williams (not as many options as there are now at the time). Since then, I've also picked up their larger scale, that goes up to 35# with the detachable display, and stainless table accessory. I can now weigh grain in the bucket, AND easily see how much I've added. My old scale is still kind of used, when I want to weigh more than 11oz but less than a couple of pounds.

Nothing against what Bobby_M sells here, I was just posting the other options that I know about. Since I can now easily cover from a fraction of an ounce (or gram) all the way to 35#, I'm not looking for a new/another scale. Be certain, I'll be looking at what Bobby_M sells if/when I'm in the market for one again.

Hey Bobby_M is that sale price reflected in the combo package you sell?

The combo with thermo, refractometer and scale would normally be 10% off (64.99) the price if bought individually ($73.97) but since the scale is $5 off, the combo price is only a savings of $4.

Don't get me wrong, the combo deal is still a bit cheaper than all pieces individual, but it's not 10% off while the scale special is going on.

Golddiggie, I was really close to buying one of those large platform scales with the detachable display and even thought about trying to sell them but they're a little outside the price I think people will pay. AWS is apparently working on modifying their 44lb hanging scale to stop auto-holding and when that happens, I'll be offering that as a grain weighing scale. Just hang your depot bucket from the hook.

Not sure I like the idea of the scale actually dropping the bucket/vessel when it hits a weight. Especially since I brew on a porch, and being able to carry the scale home with me is important. I suppose if someone is setup in a brew shed/shack/shanty/hovel/hostel/etc. then it could work.

Personally, for the cost of the 35# scale (under $33, without the stainless part) I didn't think it was all that bad. Considering how much I paid for the 11# scale when I got that (about the same price) I didn't see the cost of the one from Williams to be unreasonable. I don't know how many they sell, so it could be a slow mover.

I do hope to need a much larger scale at some point. Although maybe not. The 35# scale could be enough for the partial sacks once going to much larger batch sizes.

If any of you have weights that you use to check you balances, give me a shout if you would like to find out what they really weigh.

Only? what the heck you weighing?

In addition to grain and hops, I use it to weigh out my potassium metabisulfite (got a bag of powder form instead of tabs). I use it at a rate of .025 grams per gallon and would like to have a scale with an accuracy of +/- .01 gram. I know, probably unneccesary, which is why I bought the less accuate one to begin with, but how many homebrewers upgrade equipment solely out of neccesity?

Thanks gives me some great Ideas. Just need to be real accurate because trying to work on a recipe by adding to 1 gallon at a time.

zazbnf, I have my father's old (digital) powder scale that I use to weigh chemicals at times (for mead mostly). I didn't know how many grains were in a gram, and it was a bit of a pain to shift it over to grams (defaults to grains). Still, I like the new scales I have since the platform is larger. That's more valuable when weighing out hops, especially whole hops.

Not sure I like the idea of the scale actually dropping the bucket/vessel when it hits a weight.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's basically a digital luggage scale that I'm talking about. Put a hook on your work bench to hang the scale, then hook your bucket on to the bottom hook. Pour the grain until you hit your weight.

It's also a great tool for just hooking on to a partial sack of grain to see what you have left.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's basically a digital luggage scale that I'm talking about. Put a hook on your work bench to hang the scale, then hook your bucket on to the bottom hook. Pour the grain until you hit your weight.

It's also a great tool for just hooking on to a partial sack of grain to see what you have left.

Don't have any of that right yet. Maybe once I've moved and have a better setup for brewing.

zazbnf, I have my father's old (digital) powder scale that I use to weigh chemicals at times (for mead mostly). I didn't know how many grains were in a gram, and it was a bit of a pain to shift it over to grams (defaults to grains). Still, I like the new scales I have since the platform is larger. That's more valuable when weighing out hops, especially whole hops.

Yeah, I have a less accurate scale as well with a larger platform and higher weight limit which is better for weighing hops and grains, just posted this because he said he wanted to be as accurate as possible for a reasonable price. The scale I linked is nice because you can just press the mode key to shift between grains, grams etc.

I just received my scale from Mr. Bobby M. At first it sucked, bad. Then I realized it had a cover on it. Took that off and wow, is this thing sensitive! Could easily slip this in your back pocket on brewday. Looking forward to actually knowing my hop weights now.
Well done.

Back