Ginger Ale oil emulsion recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaco

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im making ginger ale in a forced carb corny keg and am looking for some recipes along the "7x cola" style, basically looking for a detailed clone of what flavor oils are in most commercial ginger ale recipes?

Heres my first crack at ginger ale

oil mix
2ml ginger oil
2ml grapefruit oil
2ml lemon oil
2ml lime oil
.5ml citrus blossom oil
.25ml lavender oil
.25ml pear oil

10g arabic gum + 10g water + oil mix -> emulsify with drill + whisk
10g citric acid + 10g water
2kg water 2kg sugar
grated strained fresh ginger to taste (10g?)

Anybody else using emulsified oils to flavor their soda's?

Many thanks
Stefan

Have you tried this yet, because that looks like a lot of citric, which you don't necessarily have to mix with water.

Looks good though. If you haven't tried this yet, I'd start with a smaller batch than five gallons.

Yeah I made a batch, but for now I've just been mixing the syrup with seltzer by the glass full (your right no reason to fill a whole corny until I get it right) The citric acid was a tad high but not by much, I'll probably go down to 8g next time.
the flavor was not unlike fresca, I'm trying to figure out what flavors will make it dryer and peppery without being medicinal, prob less grapefruit and some cinnamon and bergamot.

I have been making soda only from various extracts up until now and aside from the root beer extract I haven't been entirely happy with anything else. I tried some lemon McCormicks and it was so-so. I tried some pina colada from extracts for candy making and I didn't much like how the flavor turned out.

Can you tell me where you purchase the oils to make your emulsions?

Yeah I got mine from LorAnn, just keep in mind most of their oils aren't water soluble and will have to be worked into an emulsion to be used for beverages (see the 7x cola recipe above) you may also want to get eyedroppers to measure them. (also do not drill/whisk in a glass, I'm using a stainless steel cocktail shaker)

Lately i've been trying to reduce the amount of gum arabic in my recipes, 10g was too high so I'm down to 5g now.

My plan is once I get my flavor emulsions down then I can add them to more old fashioned recipes and get the best of both worlds

Back