anyone else still planting rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloaf

Reaction score
I just received more rhizomes from another forum member and will be planting them tomorrow. I already have 3 others doing well however not sure about how well the new ones will do planted this late. I won't have high expectations for them the 1st year

I'm going to be planting mine today or tomorrow. It just stopped freezing and snowing up here, so I'm finally able to get these things in the ground. It's been a sh!tty spring up here in the U.P., so hopefully that doesn't ruin my chances for a good crop.

With planting this late, I don't expect much of a yield - if any at all - the first year.

TB

I just put 4 more plants in the ground last week and the other new rhizomes I planted over a month ago have barely broken the surface. I imagine they're rooting like crazy, not much production going on up top. I only have one plant that's not brand new, and it's got 3 bines about 4-5 feet tall. At least they'll have a solid root structure for next year.

I still have some in the mail ;) First year plants I will never expect much from. Same with the second year plants. Third and fourth... bring a bucket! :D

I just planted my new 1st years last week. It's been cold in Chicago, but finally starting to warm up to the 60's consistently, so hopefully they'll take off soon!

I'll be putting mine in the ground today. We just passed our last frost day.

I planted mine on tuesday but then we had a crazy hail storm yesterday that left a layer of ice on the ground for about 30mins. Hoping they are fine with that.

Im having trouble finding anyone with rhizome stock. Those of you that are planting late... Where did you buy them from?

My first year Centennial just broke the surface last week.
I've had my SAAZ in small buckets and they are already 12" tall.
I need to put them in the ground ASAP but I didn't have time with college finals.
Just finished class this week and I have one beer to keg and some hops to plant!
Good start to the summer.

My 1st year is already growing well, Northern Brewer is 12", Cascade is 3 ft, and Hallertau is around 20". I planted those about 6 weeks ago in large pots which are now outside climbing. Now I don't feel bad. I will toss a few more in large containers and the rest in the ground. I got mine from a member on here who posted he had extra for free. It was a good deal with shipping only and great looking rhizomes. I initially only planned on having 3, however now I'm up to 8 different kind. My goal was to become more self dependent and not have to buy commercially grown hops anymore. If most of these plants take off like the 1st 3 did, then I should be set for a while. :D

beerloaf

Im having trouble finding anyone with rhizome stock. Those of you that are planting late... Where did you buy them from?

Bought mine from freshops. The first batch I got were amazing looking, lots of shoots coming off and all have broken the ground. The batch I got last week wasn't as good looking(ie. no buds), but 2 of the 4 are close enough that if I just move the top layer of soil I can see there are numerous shoots coming through. Crossing my fingers on the other 2, but even if they don't sprout, that's 6 of 8 - not bad.

Bought some nugget and cascade from antons in Evanston this morning. They had some nice growth already. I ran some twine up the chimney and hope they take.

cwheel said:

I got mine from wholesalehops.com back in march. I just didn't have the weather to plant them until today. Not sure if they are still selling, but it could be worth a look.

I put 6 willamettes in the ground yesterday. Will be putting in 50 more over the next 2 days.

Today I moved 4 truckloads of manure by hand.

I know. My motto is, 'go big or go home'.

How far past the bridge are ya?

I'm planning on starting a small scale commercial hop farm in west michigan. 5 acres to start. Right now I'm just learning and experimenting.

acyl said:
I know. My motto is, 'go big or go home'.

How far past the bridge are ya?

I'm planning on starting a small scale commercial hop farm in west michigan. 5 acres to start. Right now I'm just learning and experimenting.

I'm way up in the Keweenaw, about 4.5 hrs past the bridge. I'm from the Little Traverse area, though.

Where is your hop farm going to be? That sounds like a fun venture!

TB

I have planted them as late as July and they came back the next year. There was no crop the first season, but they grew. Hops are really easy to grow, so relax, water them well and fertilize when they start growing.

After reading the responses I planted the rest today. Kent Golding, Centennial, Chinook, and Mt Hood. Now I only need Saaz and I'm set! I ended up giving away the leftovers to a guy my wife works with since he has not been able to get any.

beerloaf

I put 6 willamettes in the ground yesterday. Will be putting in 50 more over the next 2 days.

Today I moved 4 truckloads of manure by hand.

Thats awesome !!! now go wash your hands ......lol :D

:off:

I had some non-beer heads over yesterday while I was brewing "oh we dont care for beer" then I opened the hops bag...oooooo is that what hops smell like "I Love that smell" they both said ..lol

A friend gave me mt hood, pride of ringwood, and willamette. It has been raining hard for the past month and before that it was snowing. First nice weather of 2011 over here in WNY.

I just bought some from freshops to add to two rhizomes that aren't growing well (soil issues) to replant in containers. The sterling I bought and planted mid-March is already about three feet tall. It only sprouted one shoot, which I found odd, but it is happily growing and already starting to produce the little things that become burrs.

I put 3 in the ground a few weeks ago (Magnum, Cascade, Willamette). I got 5 more Saturday and will plant them today. Still have to run the line for them to climb.

My order from Freshops looks great - buds everywhere on the rhizomes.

I ordered a cascade and zeus from freshops in mid march. They are 4-6' already.

I have horrible sandstone soil hence the raised bed. Organic topsoil + mushroom compost. I also dug a well under both plants that I filled in with topsoil for the taproot. The trellis is around 12'. I think the box is 3'x6'. Old pic. Bines are much taller now.

An old but quality portrait of Zeus. http://www.flickr.com/photos/31814554@N06/5663429854

image-780684107.jpg

I just planted two cascades the WA was planted north of the ID one just like the states they origionated from,that way i remember which is which cuz i havent tagged em yet.

I've got 3 Centennial and 3 Santiam, all first year, planted a couple weeks ago. Two Santiam and one Centennial had broken ground, with one of the Santiam up to 12" or so already. I've already named it Brutus. Two of the Centennials hadn't broken ground as of yesterday morning (I check when I go to work, and when I come home) . . . BUT, when I came home from work there were FIVE sprouts poking out, two were 3" tall!! Freaking alien!

planted 3 cascades, 3 chinook in pots for now.. until next week when topsoil comes then ill be transplanting them in the ground.. but all my chinooks are about 4 inches long so far (planted 3 weeks ago) and my cascades are just starting to peak, and one has not emerged yet, im hoping it does soon.

Back