Beer entered airlock!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrm59

Reaction score
So I just finished a beer last night, and when I checked on it this morning the beer was up in the airlock (with the sanitizer) and coming out of the top. I think I added too much water to the fermenter. Anyway, I just tossed the beer:( and I feel like crap. Did I do the right thing, or should I have seen if it would have been ok?

definitely did the wrong thing. beer comes through airlocks all the time, all you needed to do was rig up a blowoff tube and it would have been fine.

Never throw out your beer!!!

There was a VERY VERY VERY small chance that your beer got any sort of infection. And in all likeliness your beer was FINE.

Next time just make sure you hook up a blow off hose. Or better yet, ferment in a 6gal+ sized bucket.

Oh man....you had a nice fermentation going. What you will want to do in the future is attach a long hose hose to either to the bunghole or bung and stick the other end in a larger bottle of sanitizer. Then you'll have a blowoff tube.

Well now you know for next time, but seriously: don't throw out beer, especially if it's for so simple a concern. My beer gets in the airlock all the time; I don't mind and neither does the beer.

Well, let's not kick the guy too much while he's down. I'm sure he'll be plenty mad at himself when he reads the responses here. At least he'll never make this same mistake again.

This was an Oatmeal Imperial Stout I made a few years ago. It was fabulous! Never dump until you just can't stomach it anymore!!! Cheers!!!

3-21-2008KrausenBlow1.jpg

uh-oh...Sorry jrm59.

I guess razzing a first time poster that hard is a little rough. Hope we didnt scare you off... for good anyway.

I almost did that with my 1st batch,all those nasty alcohols,sour /dry off flavors...but I read some more posts,& figured I'd ride it out. now I'm glad I did. When it comes to brewing,time really does heal all wounds.

Hey I'm still here. I actually appreciate most of the comments. The "dummy, well at least you feel appropriately" and the cat poop one gave me a good laugh. I definitely won't go throwing out any beer anytime soon. I'm gonna give this beer another go though, I wasn't at the gravity I was shooting for anyway.

Thanks for the support / deserved criticism

Hey I'm still here. I actually appreciate most of the comments. The "dummy, well at least you feel appropriately" and the cat poop one gave me a good laugh. I definitely won't go throwing out any beer anytime soon. I'm gonna give this beer another go though, I wasn't at the gravity I was shooting for anyway.

Take your time, learn "How to Brew" before you brew. If you are doing an extract brew, you don't have to worry about efficiency, so as long as you brew it correctly, use all your ingredients, and the correct amount of water, your OG can be assumed thru calculations or by the numbers provided in your kit. If you don't shake or stir the hell out of your carboy after adding water make-up, you can easily measure your OG at a difference of .02 or .03 (from my experience).

If you haven't already, check this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stone-cold-lead-pipe-lockd-n00b-advice-54362/

I've only just got my second batch of extract into a carboy, but from just reading threads on here and hanging out, I knew to stick the hose that's for the siphon into the carboy bung and put a container off to the side. Sure enough, I got overflow. But from just doing reading (one of the greatest inventions ever, mind you), I knew what I was up against.

On the photography forums one of the biggest recommendations I have for photo noobs that are serious about learning a great new hobby is to do a ton of reading about the hows and whys and the theory behind everything so that they can get a good grasp on things.

I just managed to translate that advice that I give to photo noobs to myself that's a beer brewing noob. :mug:

yeah bra, it's all out of love around here. kinda like a big brother- lil brother relationship. know what I'm sayin........ And Revvy is like everdodies mother. lol glad u weren't scared off and u seen that. God Bless

You'll get the hang of it. Everybody, and I do mean everybody, has done something ill-advised while brewing. Just remember this batch the next time something unexpected happens and don't be afraid to post a question or photo. We'll help you out.
:mug:

Obviously some folks were being pretty hard on you for the mods to do what they did in this thread. It was a mistake, no biggie, you learn from it and move on. Brew immediately to apease the beer gods. : )

I have read Palmer's "How to Brew" and found it to be very helpful. I even keep it by me, during the entire brew day. My wife makes fun of me, a little bit, for it.

I do want to point out that I didn't post anything mean or rude. My post was actually just a bit of a joke about the picture of the oatmeal stout fermenting. Not sure why it got deleted. If anybody did find my comment offensive, I do apologize.

I have read Palmer's "How to Brew" and found it to be very helpful. I even keep it by me, during the entire brew day. My wife makes fun of me, a little bit, for it.

I do want to point out that I didn't post anything mean or rude. My post was actually just a bit of a joke about the picture of the oatmeal stout fermenting. Not sure why it got deleted. If anybody did find my comment offensive, I do apologize.

My copy of Joy of Homebrewing goes on the counter with all my equipment and ingredients. It also accompanies me to the homebrew shop.

Back