Can I Add Sugar to Secondary to Create Layer of co2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eanmcnulty

Reaction score
I would like to secondary 2.5 gallons of a holiday porter. It has been in primary for three weeks. I use 3 gallon Better Bottles to ferment. I know that a Better Bottle is fine as a secondary fermenter. I just want to secondary for another month. I know that there is a layer of co2 on the top of the beer right now, and when I rack it to another fermenter I will lose that layer. I do not have a tank of co2. I was wondering if I added a little sugar to the secondary if the yeast would perk up (like when bottling) and create another layer. Would it work? Is it worth it? Any other suggestions?:confused:

You won't lose the layer. When you rack over and kick everything up, some co2 is infused in the fluid already, and you will produce more co2 from the agitation of yeast acting on any unfermented sugar left in your wort. It will be enough to protect the beer.

Most of us, when we do use secondaries, don't do anything "special" and have left our beers for month, if not years with no issues.

I used to do this but if you have a fairly full secondary, then what Revvy says holds true. It sounds like you may have a good amount of head space though, so a little sugar wouldn't hurt. I have carbonation tabs that I use for this. Otherwise, boil a little sugar in some water and let it cool.

No solution needed is the simplest solution! I'll just rack it and let're go.
I stopped using a secondary a year ago, and I haven't made anything that I thought could benefit from a secondary. Really, this one probably doesn't need it, but what hell. See what happens.
Thanks, Revvy!

In trying to prevent infection, you are talking about adding something, however sterilized to the beer. Why risk it?

Adding anything then becomes a possible source of contamination.

Just don't secondary if you are so concerned.

In trying to prevent infection, you are talking about adding something, however sterilized to the beer. Why risk it?

I took OP as trying to prevent oxidation, not infection. I suppose I could be wrong. Adding sugar shouldn't hurt anything, as long as general sanitation is attended to, but it may not be necessary. Transferring will also rouse the yeast and stir up the liquid a bit, which usually churns out some CO2, as others have stated.

Once beer is fermented, it's not a very welcoming environment for most microbes. I still wouldn't recommend it, but you could start a siphon by mouth at this point and still not get any kind of infection 90%+ of the time.

I took OP as trying to prevent oxidation, not infection. I suppose I could be wrong. Adding sugar shouldn't hurt anything, as long as general sanitation is attended to, but it may not be necessary. Transferring will also rouse the yeast and stir up the liquid a bit, which usually churns out some CO2, as others have stated.

Once beer is fermented, it's not a very welcoming environment for most microbes. I still wouldn't recommend it, but you could start a siphon by mouth at this point and still not get any kind of infection 90%+ of the time.

Agreed.

He is going to put 2.5 gallons into a 3 gallon carboy. That is a lot of head space. From personal experience, I would probably add a touch of sugar to feel safe myself. Perhaps a tablespoon for that much head space to drive out the air.

You won't lose the layer. When you rack over and kick everything up, some co2 is infused in the fluid already, and you will produce more co2 from the agitation of yeast acting on any unfermented sugar left in your wort. It will be enough to protect the beer.

Most of us, when we do use secondaries, don't do anything "special" and have left our beers for month, if not years with no issues.

Thanks, Revvy. Here is my second question. Are there any problems with fermenting three gallons in a five gallon carboy? I figure there will be enough co2 to push out the two gallons of air.

Thanks, Revvy. Here is my second question. Are there any problems with fermenting three gallons in a five gallon carboy? I figure there will be enough co2 to push out the two gallons of air.

For primary, no, I do it all the time with 2.5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carboy. But not for secondary.

Right, I meant primary 3g in a 5g carboy, then secondary in a 3g Carboy. That works for me. Now I have good way to bulk age. Thanks!

Back