Anything I can use instead of a grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
I forgot to order a grain bag to steep my grains. Anyone have any suggestions on anything I can easily obtain to do this?

nobes341 said:
I've never tried it but I'd assume you could just steep your grains without any sort of grain bag and strain the grains out with a fine strainer.

This is how I do it. Just add the grains loose. Strain them out with a stainless kitchen strainer. Remember, since this is pre boil, it just needs to be clean- you do not have to worry about sanitizing the strainer. I tried grain bags a couple times, and I feel that you get a better result with the loose grains, as you can stir them in the middle of the soak/minimash, and you can also run some sparge over them to get to the size boil that you do. I do 3 gal boils, so I normally do a 1.5G soak/mash striking with 160*F water and and sparging with 155*F to make 3Gal in my brewpot. I run my soak in my oven, since it has a very accurate digital temp control.

my last batch I used a net laundry bag that was new. I thought the holes in the netting might be too big, but I was using uncrushed grains too, and it worked fine.......better than fine, I told my wife "Hands Off! This is mine now!" ....... Actually it cost me 3 of my Cream Ales to her........ Ah well........ :)

I noticed that a large stainless kitchen strainer or sieve (looks like a domed window screen) sits on top of my brew pot without falling in and it allows the grains to be completely covered with water. Simple, reusable and it only lets the finest bits of husk into the wort.

Bobby

Loose grain and then a kitchen strainer has always worked good for me, I think you get more out of the grain that way, too.

Latest posts

Back