Split batch sparge??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Is this just called a split batch because you're using half the water at dough out and half again to sparge? Or do you do a dough out, 1/2 sparge, and 1/2 sparge. I've read and watched videos but just read a link that has confused me by saying "Efficiency probably will not suffer due to the new method of split batch sparging". Damn, somebody had to mess up my mind with information.:drunk:

As I understand it this is done without a mash out. Vorlauf and drain your first wort and put it on the burner. Then you add the first half of your sparge water and stir, sit 10 minutes, drain and add to your kettle on the fire. Repeat with second half of sparge water.

What he said. Two sparges. I do this, makes sparging easy for me.

As I understand it this is done without a mash out. Vorlauf and drain your first wort and put it on the burner. Then you add the first half of your sparge water and stir, sit 10 minutes, drain and add to your kettle on the fire. Repeat with second half of sparge water.

Back