Planting rhizomes now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
I just got the OK from SWMBO to plant some hops (she has been talking about the flowers and plants she wants for weeks and I threw in hops to the mix just for gits and shiggles and she said OK (with some debate over the methodology but we'll table that 'til later))

So my question, it being late in the spring and all, is it too late to plant rhizomes and still get anything for the year? Freshops.com is still selling, but I don't know if that'll translate into success. Opinions?

I just ordered a couple of rhizomes from Freshops this last week. Not here yet but have a space in the garden and all the soil and manure ready for them when they arrive. I know here in Oklahoma our growing season can last until after September, I had tomatoes on the vine until October last year! At least you can get them in the ground and get a root ball established for the second year harvest and going forward. Even if I get no hops, I will take some bine sprouting and any growth as a success. Most people are saying that you can actually get hops the first year but not like what will come in the years after. I would take a chance on some, not too much money and fairly little effort at least in the first year when you just let them go.

You won't get anything this year, most first year plants don't have a harvest anyway. You might get something next year, I've heard it is rather difficult to grow far south where there is not much of a winter though.

As a fellow southern grower I'll relay my experience. I also realize S. Florida weather is alot like ours, only more of it in terms of heat, humidity, & duration.

My suggestions
1) It is somewhat cultivar specific. For instance many of the "C" hops or thier derivatives should grow fairly easily in full sun, even in S. Florida, but if you can plant them so they get afternoon shade it'd be best.
2) If you're trying to grow things like fuggles/goldings you're best to try it in the shade, or atleast in partial shade. Otherwise your efforts could be quite fruitless.
3) Don't try to grow hops in the south in planters, they just dry out TOO quick!

These are just general guidelines I've found were true for my growing area where my previous hop trellis had afternoon shade from about 2:20 till sun down. Granted this wasn't blocking out the sun shade, but the type of shade that's provided by giant oak trees with sunlight filtering through. From July through Sept. you can't water them enough!!! Unless the weather is like it is throughout much of the southeast the past few days and for most of the coming week... rain everyday!

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps pour the miracle grow too them once they're 10+" high.

Ladies and gents, thank you all for the words and the advice. I'll be placing my order shortly!

Yeah definitely go for it. You probably won't get a yield (or not much at least) but get them established now so next year you'll be good to go. Plus, it's not like it's a huge risk even if they all flop.

Back