squeaky sparge arm...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
I have been trying to sparge with this Phil's sparge contraption that spins as the HL is passing through it. It works pretty well, and I have hit efficiencies in the low to mid 70's

Something that's bothered me though is that is squeaks for like an hour when I am sparging. I've tried cleaning it real well, and even attempted to put a little drop of olive oil on the "spindle" about which the horizontal sparge arm rotates. It never worked for more than a few minutes.

So this time I used some graphite and a little bit of silicone spray. Just like with the olive oil, it bagan squeaking again about 2-3 minutes into the sparge. Maybe it's just that I'm a real auditory person and little noises are my pet peeve, but that really angered me. I gave it a solid 5 second blast of WD-40, and it immedately went quiet. However, not 5 minutes later, it started AGAIN... :mad:

Anyway, I've given up on the dang sparge arm, but now my wort smells kind of funny, and doesn't seem to want to ferment properly.

Any thoughts?

Man, I thought this thread would really take off.

I thought it was the funniest thing I had written in months.

I guess no-one appreciates a good troll job around here... :D

anyway, :tank:

ahoym8e said:

Oh yes. Just halarious...

RichBrewer said:
My sparge arm has always squeaked and I've always thought it sounded cool. It's the sound of a brew in progress at my house!

I always liked it too. The sound was melodic and relaxing.

NO
troll3r.JPG

Back