something I do not recommend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
Cracked open a Pliny the Elder tonight. Needless to say it was as good as it always is. Here is what I do not recommend: 5 mins later pour your home brewed IPA and try to enjoy what you used to think was pretty good.

Thats sad... *LOL*

I usually expect a world of difference between my HB vs commercial beer, most of times i prefer my HB, but there are a few exceptions of course.

+1 to gila's thought... I've never been dissapointed in what I brewed as compared to anything commercial. Possibly more pride than anything, but still.

One of the reasons I rarely make an IPA, there are just too many great ones available. Not that my 3CPA isn't also great, but if I'm making a beer, I like to make something I can't find elsewhere.

I've had this happen too. My best beers are typically stouts or darker beers. My IPA's rarely live up to what you can buy off the shelf.

But on that same note, it gives me reason to improve my IPAs.

I had the same thing happen last week with Hopslam. It dwarfed my Stone IPA clone. :( I think what a few of you are missing is that the homebrew likely is brewed with substantially less hops, so it doesn't seem to stand up. In my case, the Stone IPA clone had about 1/2 the IBUs as Hopslam. In the OP case, I can't imagine how many less IBUs his homebrew had than Pliny's 275+ IBUs. LOL. You shouldn't throw that much money into hops all the time. That's crazy.

I don't know. Going from Pliny to any IPA (not just HB) is always a bit of a let-down. I usually have to wait a week before I can truly enjoy any IPA.

The bottles are not as good as a fresh keg. Pliny the Younger is a better beer. I like the 10.5 kick and the extra hop/malt balance. I think it is more balanced than the elder despite the high alcohol.

I am not happy that Russian River chose quick clean bottling over yeasty bottle conditioned beers. I think Pliny and Blind Pig would do better if there was sediment and conditioning allowed.

I suppose it is economics plain and simple...Make a lot of beer, sell it, keep selling.

The other thing that irks me is that Pliny is so esteemed. It is an IPA...Its bitter...so what...

Its just another IBU bomb. The key components of Pliny are the use of acidulated malt and hop extracts. The clean one dimensional bitter characteristic is from the extract.

I have been tasting Russian River beers since they first opened. There is a distinct evolution of hop flavors. In the early days the full flavor of fresh hop cones could be tasted.

There was an abundance of floral and citrus notes. Now it is close but compromised. The new addition is the extracts. Its not necessarily a cheat or shortcut but its not the same.

Can anyone else pick up on these flavor changes? I understand IBU yield is going to better with extract. The trade off is subtle nuance.

It makes since. Why use super expensive high IBU fresh hops that will be damaged in transport. Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. A critic is just a critic...Unless you want to be pay me to be a critic. Then I will enlightened.

The other thing that irks me is that Pliny is so esteemed. It is an IPA...Its bitter...so what...

Its just another IBU bomb. The key components of Pliny are the use of acidulated malt and hop extracts. The clean one dimensional bitter characteristic is from the extract.

I have been tasting Russian River beers since they first opened. There is a distinct evolution of hop flavors. In the early days the full flavor of fresh hop cones could be tasted.

There was an abundance of floral and citrus notes. Now it is close but compromised. The new addition is the extracts. Its not necessarily a cheat or shortcut but its not the same.

Can anyone else pick up on these flavor changes? I understand IBU yield is going to better with extract. The trade off is subtle nuance.

It makes since. Why use super expensive high IBU fresh hops that will be damaged in transport. Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. A critic is just a critic...Unless you want to be pay me to be a critic. Then I will enlightened.

Flame me if you want but I tried the Stone IPA last night and didn't like it. The hops aroma was raw and didn't seem balanced. Actually I like the Arrogant Bastard better, it seems better balanced and I think thats the key. You can get away with a higher IBU if its balanced. That's why I like HG IPAs better, enough malty flavor to temper the IBUs.

I haven't tried (or even seen) Pliny here. But the various Stone offerings can be a bit overwwhelming in the bittering, without the aroma/flavor. But if I can manage to get it on tap, their plain IPA is pretty drinkable.
But...
I just tried SN's Torpedo last night. I poured it into a glass and took a large sniff. It's was like I had just opened a pack of Cascade or Centennial pellets and inhaled the bag. I expected it to be too bitter. It wasn't. And the aroma translated into flavor very well. It's what I'm going to shoot for when I next bre an IPA.
Now, my (just bottled) IPA is good so far, but I think I'd have to choose a different week to drink it than the Torpedo. :)

for those of you making beers as good as Pliny - congrats and keep up the good work. I will keep experimenting and trying - I just won't compare within 5 mins anymore. As far as hopbombs go - Pliny is a bit different if you ask me. I really dig it, but it is not my fav IPA by a stretch - just a tough comparison to my home brew. I had had a few Pliny's at the Oregon Brewer's feast over the years as was not overly impressed, but then again, when you are on your 10th IPA things get fuzzy. The bottle last night thoug h was very tasty indeed.

The bottles are not as good as a fresh keg. Pliny the Younger is a better beer. I like the 10.5 kick and the extra hop/malt balance. I think it is more balanced than the elder despite the high alcohol.

I am not happy that Russian River chose quick clean bottling over yeasty bottle conditioned beers. I think Pliny and Blind Pig would do better if there was sediment and conditioning allowed.

I suppose it is economics plain and simple...Make a lot of beer, sell it, keep selling.

I am glad you ended that post the way you did. I like Elder far more than I like Younger. We've all got our opinions, of course. And Pliny is still a damn good beer. In my mind, there's no "so what" about a beer like that. It is big, it is hoppy, but I don't think Pliny is over the top by any means. I've had a ton off hop bombs that were awful enough to just pass right on by, and Pliny is always drinkable.

Pliny is not just another IBU bomb in the least. Sure, it is massively hyped, but there's nothing you can do about that. It is still one of my go to beers because it is a great beer.

I can make pale ales I like every bit as much as my favorite commercial pales or more.

I can make amber ales that I like every bit as much as my favorite commercial ambers or more (save Calico Amber. that's just magic there that I haven't matched yet)

I can not for the life of me seem to get an IPA to approach my favorite commercial varieties. I like my IPA's a lot, but next to a Celebration Ale or a Stone product, etc......no match. Luckily, I'm forced to keep trying:rockin:

I usually stick with the more malty ambers, scottish, and reds for my own HB. But, on the commercial IPA offerings, I put in my vote for Founders Double Trouble. It is fantastic. Not overpowering, with plenty IBU's and a malty background and character. It is the best beer I've ever had. It's almost buttery on the finish, I don't know how they do it, but it is great. I will start trying my hand at IPA's over the summer. I've only made 2 in the last 2 years and they were ok, nothing great.

The thing with IPA's are that there are so many different ones, it's hard for me to say which is truly better. I've had everything from super citrus, to smack in the face pine and I enjoy IPA's at both ends of the spectrum. My homebrewed IPA is nothing like the Widmer Broken Halo I also had tonight, but it's good in a different way. In my opinion, IPA's are one style that has quite a bit of variety for every palate.

I found that the last of my very first batch was by far the best brew (of that kind) I have consumed to date. I tried to jog the memories of it as I sucked back one of my new favs, and it was close (and very tasty) but something about my brew just made me say 'Wow'.
-Me

Back