GOOD EATS flower pot electric smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodfatherX

Reaction score
Would be pretty nifty for someone in an apartment with a balcony. Or someone who can't keep their coals going :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I made one of these and it worked very well for about 12 months. The only problem I had was the grease soaked through the pot and it fell apart. If you make one of these, figure out how to paint the inside so that the drippings run out the hole in the bottom. There was not really enough rooom in the one I made for a drip pan beneath the food rack.

On the plus side, it held temps very well, even in winter, and seemed to cook the food very evenly. Some of the better pork roasts I have had were made on my flower pot smoker.

I made one of these and it worked very well for about 12 months. The only problem I had was the grease soaked through the pot and it fell apart. If you make one of these, figure out how to paint the inside so that the drippings run out the hole in the bottom. There was not really enough rooom in the one I made for a drip pan beneath the food rack.

On the plus side, it held temps very well, even in winter, and seemed to cook the food very evenly. Some of the better pork roasts I have had were made on my flower pot smoker.

Maybe a few coats of BBQ spray paint on the bottom would prevent that.

Cool Video. My pulled pork falls off the bone after 22 hours. His looked a bit tough.

I use these to pull pork
. The make short work of it.

41PADSKKFEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Here's my recipe for some kick butt sauce.

EdWort's Pulled Pork Vinegar Sauce

Directions

Take a 1/2 liter (16.7 oz) bottle of water. Pour the water in a glass, drink the water.

Using a funnel, add the following ingredients to the bottle.

4 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoon turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 teaspoon ground Chipotle Pepper
1 teaspoon ground Cayenne Pepper

Top off with Heinz apple cider vinegar (use the real stuff, not flavored).

Put cap back on and shake till sugar and salt dissolve.

Let stand as long as possible, at least 1/2 a day, but the longer the better.

Poke a hole in the cap with a clean nail and you have a squirt bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting ed...........the place where i go to college has a small BBQ place that has a lovely very thin vinegar sauce. Your recipe seems like it might be close. Gonna give it a whirl the next time we BBQ

That's been on my to-do list for a couple of years, ever since I first saw it. One of these days I'm a gone do it! I even have electric hot plate now. What am I waiting for?

I'm an avid fan of that show, seen every episode, and yeah, once I get out of barracks life and into an apartment or house I'm definitely making one of those.

For anyone interested, every episode is available on youtube.

Back