Igloo vs. Rubbermaid Coolers - Which is better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I have the option of either building a MLT with either an Igloo or Rubbermaid cooler. Both are 10 gallons, I'm buying them used for cheap so I don't have any specifics about either.

So which one would you go with based on past experience? Does one brand typically retain heat better than the other? Is one more durable; I think I heard somewhere that ? Which has a better reputation? I've heard that latches on Igloo coolers tend to break easier but that they're higher quality?

Thanks for the help!

I've never used an Igloo cooler, but I can give you the rundown on my round Rubbermaid cooler.

Basically, it has worked like a champ for me on close to 30 batches. There was a bit of warping on the interior after the first couple of batches, but it seemed to stabilize after that. Regarding heat loss - when I do single infusion mashes, I do not re-open the lid to stir during the 60 minute rest. In these cases, I lose about 2 degrees over the hour.

You probably can't go wrong with either, as I've seen tons of people with both on the forum. But, for the sake of good research, you'd be wise to collect a few more opinions. Good luck! :mug:

Kupish - Thanks for the quick response, sounds like you had an overall positive experience with your rubbermaid? Is a loss of 2 degrees over an hour going to make any impact on mash or is it negligble?

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Kupish - Thanks for the quick response, sounds like you had an overall positive experience with your rubbermaid? Is a loss of 2 degrees over an hour going to make any impact on mash or is it negligble?

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Yes, I have had a very positive experience with my Rubbermaid cooler. Also, I have not noticed the 2 degree loss making an impact on my mash and the fermentability of the wort.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the temperature loss - people have developed workarounds (putting a blanket on top, filling the lid with spray foam, floating a piece of styrofoam on top of the mash, etc). You can use one of these to minimize the temperature loss even further. I haven't done so because, as noted above, I've found the 2 degree loss to have no impact on my wort fermentability and quality.

With my 5 gallon igloo, I tend to lose 2-3 degrees in a 60 minute mash. But have been quite happy with it and do not regret buying igloo over Rubbermade. Only reason I went with Igloo is because they were much cheaper than the rubbermade's I found. And by much cheaper I mean $25 cheaper.

I have an igloo 12gallon (?) ice cube....and it works a charm. Lose 1-2 degrees in an hour ... and this is with opening it a couple times to get a good stir in.

My rubbermaid 10 gallon doesn't seem to lose anything over the course of an hour. I just put a towel over the top to help insulate the cover.

My rubbermaid 10 gallon doesn't seem to lose anything over the course of an hour. I just put a towel over the top to help insulate the cover.
Yea, I've heard putting a towel on the lid does wonders at curbing heat loss. I've just never had enough motivation to do so.

Do you do single infusion mashes or step mashes? Do you stir at all during the mash?

Hey dudes, just thought I'd give an update. I met up with the guy selling the coolers, they looked practically identical, right down to the same shade of orange.

In the end I went with the Rubbermaid. The top for the rubbermaid screwed down whereas the igloo had latches; plus the rubbermaid was much newer so it was an easy decision.

...And then I just measured the diameter of the lid, and it's definitely a 5 gallon cooler.Am I right in assuming this means that all I can do are low/moderate strength all grain beer? If so then the quest for a mash tun continues, FML

buzzkill - That is awesome news. For my first all grain bath I'm going to brew Barley Brown's Turmoil, a black IPA recipe that was in the July/August issue of Zymurgy. It calls 14.4 pounds of grain and based on what I've read, I thought for sure I'd need a 10 gallon cooler.

Can I get away with a 5 gallon cooler for this? Would I be cutting it too close?

I just used the "Can I Mash It" calculator here and apparently the only way I can manage 14.4 pounds is if I only do 1 quart of water/pound? I've never done all grain, is 1 quart not enough?

I just used the "Can I Mash It" calculator here and apparently the only way I can manage 14.4 pounds is if I only do 1 quart of water/pound? I've never done all grain, is 1 quart not enough?
I think it depends on what you are brewing.
According to some (Palmer and Noonan), a thick mash of 1 qt / lb, makes for a less fermentable (i.e. more dextrinous) wort. My experience has been that it makes a beer that tastes like it is less fermentable, but with that thickness I typically get 75 - 78% attenuation with WLP002 which is 5 - 8% greater than the maximum according to White Labs.
I use a 1 qt / lb thickness for English Ales, and 1.25 or greater for all others.
I wouldn't like to mash a Bitter at much more than 1 qt/lb, but I wouldn't want to mash an APA at less than 1.25 qt/lb

-a

Yea, I've heard putting a towel on the lid does wonders at curbing heat loss. I've just never had enough motivation to do so.

Do you do single infusion mashes or step mashes? Do you stir at all during the mash?

Single infusion, simple batch sparge. I don't usually stir but if I do (like when I did my squash beer I felt like it was a good idea) I lose about a degree.

I mash 1 lb of grain to 1.25 qts of water. I can mash 14 lbs of grain in my 5 gallon cooler but would be leary of going over 15# of grain. I think you'll be ok with a 5 gallon cooler to mash 14.4# of grain.

I was curious as well. I ran the test and made a quick clip of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I choose Rubbermaid because of the screw on lid. All of the igloo coolers I found were only press-in. Maybe me being anal.

Also, I found a 5gal Rubbermaid at Menards for $16. It's green and not blaze orange but I almost prefer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Blue State, good on ya for putting some science and video to an age old question. Looks like 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

Thanks bud. Just glad I could contribute. And ya, they are essentially identical. It comes down to what features you want.

I have a 5 gallon Colman cooler and because I only do small 2 gallon batches mashing w/maybe 2.8 gal of water I loose up to 8* in an hour and that is w/preheating to cooler w/130* water for like 20 min before dumping and adding the strike water. Think I'm gonna NOT stir every 15 min next brew and see if that helps. I do BIAB.

Back