Seriously? It is just Bud.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope he's cleared like most cops usually are when they overreact...you know, the professionals...right!!

It'll give thieves something to think about before making a stupid mistake.

Another reason why I'm for concealed handguns. When regular citizens are armed there are fewer crimes because criminals only prey on the weak...or the ones they think are weak.

I know he shouldn't have tried stealing the beer but damm dudes
dead now cause some young clerk trying to save the store 9 bucks
is just wrong.

I know he shouldn't have tried stealing the beer but damm dudes
dead now cause some young clerk trying to save the store 9 bucks
is just wrong.
There's certainly a conflict there. I mean unless the clerk has a lot of options besides just a gun, how is he supposed to prevent smash and grab type of thefts (especially if he's watching the store by himself). Would this have been a good situation for less-leathal ammo? Or maybe he should have chucked a molotov cocktail onto the car as it sped away.

KILLING the guy was WRONG, but he DID save them the 12 pack. ;)
Maybe, but it's probably evidence now...

It is a stunning example of the virtue of Personal Responsibility.

The thief dies from a minor convenience store theft of less than $15, but had he not sought to steal in the first place....

The store clerk, who was not under any responsibility to shoot at $15 thieves that do not threaten his own life, now goes to jail.

Moral of the story is: look out because weird **** happens all the time.

I hope this clerk gets off with a slap on the wrist. Everyone should know that you are allowed to shoot someone when they are on your property, or you are threatened with immediate and mortal danger. Other than that, you run the risk of serving time for at least manslaughter. If he had plugged the guy inside the store, or if the thief had a weapon the clerk would have a case. But shooting at someone outside as they are running away? Get their license plate number and call the cops would be my first move.

Well, I'm not trying to make light of this kids death but I'm sure many convenience store owners are scared when a theft/robbery happens. To many times a year these clerks are murdered by people who snatch and grab no more than $20 from the register.

I know he chased him out of the store and shot him which was wrong, but I'm sure the guy was scared. I feel sorry for everyone involved.

Well, I'm not trying to make light of this kids death but I'm sure many convenience store owners are scared when a theft/robbery happens. To many times a year these clerks are murdered by people who snatch and grab no more than $20 from the register.

I know he chased him out of the store and shot him which was wrong, but I'm sure the guy was scared. I feel sorry for everyone involved.

I think a grab-and-go robbery is a lot different from a hold up. What I gathered from this story is that the guy grabbed a 12 pack and ran. That is no reason to run out of a store firing a gun. Not only can you harm the robber but more important any innocent person that happens to be in the area. Indeed it is a sad story.

To partially quote a great move... that clerk took away everything that man ever had and ever will have, all on account of pulling a trigger.

Stolen beer isn't worth a life.

I think a grab-and-go robbery is a lot different from a hold up. What I gathered from this story is that the guy grabbed a 12 pack and ran. That is no reason to run out of a store firing a gun. Not only can you harm the robber but more important any innocent person that happens to be in the area. Indeed it is a sad story.

I completely agree that chasing him out of the store and shooting him is wrong. I don't know if he was scared, or what. Either way I feel bad for everyone involved.

My gramp was a police officer, and he told me to many clerks were murdered over beer, snacks, $20. People often hurt the clerks. I'm not saying this particular clerk felt threatened, but I'm sure he knew that often clerks are assaulted. I will say again I completely agree that chasing him out of the store was WRONG.

Sad thread replies. I am disheartened by all the bad jokes and lack of empathy. Murder is not appropriate use of force in retaliation to petty theft. This needless loss of life should never have happened.

The store is insured against theft, no grab-n-go justifies execution. This guy was shot in cold blood for nothing. If it was a holdup and the clerk thought his life was in danger, that is another story, but this clearly was not the case.

This is exactly why people... sorry... idiots SHOULDN'T carry guns, because they don't know when it's appropriate to use them. I hope he gets murder 1, to teach people that it's NOT ok to shoot someone over a 12 pack. Thieves in TX are already aware of the risks...

I have a buddy that works down the street from there. I was hoping it wasn't him involved in the shooting. It wasn't.

Stores are NOT insured against theft. I owned an electronics store, and every time something got lifted, the insurance man would kind of wince, and shrug his shoulders.

What ? You can definately get insured against theft. A run of the mill vanilla policy might have exclusions regarding theft, but to say that stores are not insured is a gross generalization. Getting insured against theft is very often a prerequisite for a commercial loan, at least up here, unless you have a massive amount of $ to offer as collateral. Now, unless you have cameras lying around filming the theft, or direct proof, actually getting paid canbe a hassle with shoplifting and the like. It might also not be the best idea to report every theft due to the potential (potential, who am I kidding?) premium hike.

Insured or not, shooting a thief in the parking lot over a case of beer... :( How to ruin multiple lives, including his own, over material possessions.

Put the damn clerks behind bulletproof glass already.

I think this guy was just looking for an excuse to shoot someone. F*** him I hope he goes to prison. If this moron shot and killed my Son for an attempted heist of a 12 pack I would ......what?

I think it's about respect. If someone tried to steal it or impose his will on me by agression, I would use whatever force I felt necessary to stop it. I would had have no moral qualms about killing him. And no, I don't believe his life is worth a 12 pack. However, I would not have chased after him, and if I owned a store, I would hire an armed guard to be in stationed in a conspicuous location.

I think it's about respect. If someone tried to steal it or impose his will on me by agression, I would use whatever force I felt necessary to stop it. I would had have no moral qualms about killing him. And no, I don't believe his life is worth a 12 pack. However, I would not have chased after him, and if I owned a store, I would hire an armed guard to be in stationed in a conspicuous location.

you have no "moral qualms" about killing a guy over a 12 pack of Budweiser?

are you f-ing serious? its not like he held the clerk up at gunpoint and took it, he was running away and was gunned down.

if you'd kill over bud, would you rape someone over a barleywine?

if you'd kill over bud, would you rape someone over a barleywine?

Is that seriously a connection you would make? Just to be straight, you equate me defending/protecting my property with committing a rape? Don't attribute your traits to others. If you had bothered to read my response you would know what I would have done under the circumstances.

my traits? I'm not the one killing over a 12-pack.

you said you'd use force, yeah, that's reasonable, but you wouldn't have any "qualms over killing him".

it's pretty ridiculous to kill someone over a 12-pack. yeah, thieves suck, stealing is wrong, etc, but who here hasn't done stupid sh*t when they were young?

The shooter used disproportionate force. It was an unjustified killing. It was no accident. He pursued him outside of the building and shot him to death. A well-instructed jury will find him to be guilty of murder.

More sad, dumb responses

News Flash - you dont have the right to kill other people; even if you think they 'deserve it'.

More sad, dumb responses

News Flash - you dont have the right to kill other people; even if you think they 'deserve it'.

i certainly wouldn't go that far, but in most cases, yes.

i mean, if someone's life is in danger, they have the right to defend themselves.

but, if my......12 pack......is in danger.....i don't think that's justified...

Call me a dirt hippie, but taking someone's life over beer, or to impose respect, or whatever ridiculous justification, is not something anyone should have "no moral qualms" about. Two wrongs don't ever make a right. The crux of the matter is that the guy's life was never in any danger.

Call me a dirt hippie, but taking someone's life over beer, or to impose respect, or whatever ridiculous justification, is not something anyone should have "no moral qualms" about. Two wrongs don't ever make a right. The crux of the matter is that the guy's life was never in any danger.

So true...

Call me a dirt hippie, but taking someone's life over beer, or to impose respect

Well, dirt hippie (whatever that is), I never said I would try to "impose respect". I said I would use whatever force I felt necessary to keep someone from imposing their will on me. Respect must be earned, you can't impose it. Fear can be imposed. The person that is stealing from you or whatever other violation of your person they are performing has proven that they have no respect for you or your property. This is not about beer. In my intial response, I said that I would not have chased the person to shoot at them. I also said that I would have an armed guard on premises. However, I stand beside the statement that I will not be wronged when I have other choices.

That better?

Well, dirt hippie (whatever that is), I never said I would try to "impose respect". I said I would use whatever force I felt necessary to keep someone from imposing their will on me. Respect must be earned, you can't impose it. Fear can be imposed. The person that is stealing from you or whatever other violation of your person they are performing has proven that they have no respect for you or your property. This is not about beer. In my intial response, I said that I would not have chased the person to shoot at them. I also said that I would have an armed guard on premisis. However, I stand beside the statement that I will not be wronged when I have other choices.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to mine. Killing anyone over quabbles about property or lack of respect is simply barbaric. Unless a human being is in danger, lethal force should never be used.

Also premisis. I can spot spelling mistakes too.

Back