Blow Off Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue14

Reaction score
Whew!

I brewed my first AG stout yesterday (my fourth AG batch overall). My preboil volume was 7 gallons and I came out with around 6 gallons and onl put 5 gallons into my 6.5 gallon fermenter. The OG hit 1.074 two points off my target. No worries there. I pitched a healthy starter (3 smack packs - haven't gotten around to learning to make my own yet.)

Last night I noticed that I had a bit of airlock activity. When I got home from work this evening things appeared to be progressing nicely. Just as I am about to hit the sack, I decided to tuck my brew in for the night when panic set in...krausen in the airlock. I quickly called 911 (jumped on HBT and searched the forum). Lucky for me many of you have been in this situation and had some great advice. I quickly started heating some water grabbed some extra tubbing and made a slit in it, grabbed a spare airlock, and put some water in the growler. Once the water was heated I but the slit end of the tubbing in and was able to fit it onto the airlock. With in 5 minutes I was able to fashion this handy blow of tube. I soon as I put the other end of the tube into the growler I began to hear the escaped gases burping into the water in the growler.

I am hoping all is well for the night. Had I not checked on the brew before bed, I can only imagine the mess I would have woken up to in tomorrow. (I am saying this hoping that I didn't just jinx myself.)

All is well.

When the yeasty foam ("krausen") begins to creep back down into the beer in a couple of days you can put a standard sanitized airlock back on.

Making starters is easy. Look up how-tos on this forum. FYI: adding three smack packs to a 1.075 beer isn't "making a starter" -- it's wasting money.

Your beer will be beer. 1/2" tubing fits perfect over an airlock's inner channel without any heating. Happy brewing.

Back