adjusting the amount of bittering hops, for late extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can approximate this by entering a lower gravity which tricks the calculator.

If you are adding half the extract at the very end, cut the boil gravity in half.

You can approximate this by entering a lower gravity which tricks the calculator.

If you are adding half the extract at the very end, cut the boil gravity in half.

He said 'without', but I don't know the answer. I've heard that you should use 75% of the original recipe, but don't trust me on that.

I had a similar thread recently. I was doing my first late extract addition brew. I was told a general rule is to decrease your bittering hops by 25%. But, keep in mind I have no experience (I haven't tasted the result of my first late extract addition batch), and that amount is a generalization.

That "hop bitterness calculator" seems useful, but whenever I tell it to calculate I get an internal server error. Looks like it's gone down.

Back