What to make after Thanksgiving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nurmey

I love making Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few things I do with the leftovers but this one is my (and family's) favorites. Homemade noodles just like grandma used to make; thick and chewy. Stock cooked all day with the turkey carcass. Lots of carrots because I like it that way. :) It's soooo good and perfect for a cold weekend evening.

Dinner.jpg

What's your specialty with that leftover turkey?

I make a big pot of stock using the giblets & later the carcass. Then I pack bags with turkey & pour in broth before freezing. So, I don't really have leftovers, as such.

But, that soup does look great.

It's family tradition to make a gumbo. Cook down the turkey carcass for stock, cook up a roux and make gumbo. Use the leftover turkey and augment it with the crustacean of your choice and some andouille.

YUM! I love gumbo but never thought to use leftover turkey (although it makes perfect sense). Might have to cook up another turkey for Christmas and give it a try.

Nurmey said:
YUM! I love gumbo but never thought to use leftover turkey (although it makes perfect sense). Might have to cook up another turkey for Christmas and give it a try.

I've been known to cook turkey when someone else was hosting Thanksgiving just to have an excuse to make a gumbo. Big pot of gumbo+cooler full of beer+good, hungry friends= my kind of holiday.

AlaskaBrewing said:
Turkey Enchiladas!!!! :rockin: No turkey left over this year and we did 2 of them. :( The deep fried turkey didn't last 3 hours.

Yup, that what I like to do.

Yuri_Rage said:
I thought SWMBO was weird when she said that was a tradition at her parents' house. Now we do it, too. Apparently it's more common than I thought!

Weird indeed! We usually do turkey burritos, but tonight I made turkey enchiladas and then saw this post...

:drunk:

Wish I'd taken a picture now.

:cross:

Anyone have a good recipe for gumbo for a northerner? I have tons of leftover bird and that sounds great.

Yuri_Rage said:
I thought SWMBO was weird when she said that was a tradition at her parents' house. Now we do it, too. Apparently it's more common than I thought!

Mole poblano de guajalote (Puebla style Turkey Mole) is considered the national Mexican dish, iirc. I thought that was odd as well, until I learned that the term 'Bird Pepper' actually comes from the fact that birds love to eat those tiny fiery peppers like Chiltepes, etc.

Not that it has terribly much to do with the Mole, but more to do with the Turkey. The Turkeys are from what I have read very fond of these types of peppers, and eat them in the wilds of Mexico. Which to me was interesting. So yeah, to me it seemed odd, the use of Turkey in the Mole, and just as odd in the Enchiladas...and I have no idea why I have a wierd mental association with Turkey and Hispanic rooted cuisine. Maybe it's because with Turkey I immediately think Thanksgiving and the US. I dunno :D

Back