Dark Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrmanotb

Reaction score
Any one have a recipe for a good dark stout. Looking for something alnog the lines of a Mackeson triple stout. thks

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipes

that site has lotsa recipies.

this is a stout i put together last night, i will boil it up tomorow or friday... tis a mini-mash that is fortified with dme.

2.5 lbs english 2row pale ale malt
1 lbs carapils malt
.5 lbs black patent
.5 lbs chocolate malt
two handfulls of rolled quaker oats.

3.3 lbs dark malt extract
2.0 lbs amber malt extract

1.0 oz saaz hops (boil)
1.0 oz northern brewer (boil)
1.0 oz fuggles (finishing)

yeast

i used some german style grain as well as hops, it's sorta blend of styles, i hope it turns out ok...

I brewed some sort of hybrid last night, not quite sure what style I would place it in, but looks good so far. Did a mini-mash with the specialty grains. 6Gal into the fermentor.

Began with a Munton's Imperial Stout Kit

6.6# Dark Malt Extract (from kit, unfortunately, and hopped, as well)
1.5# flaked oats
1/2 # Roasted Barley
1/2# Chocolate Malt
3.3# Cooper's Dark Malt Extract
1.5oz. Cluster (45 min boil)
1oz fuggles (10 mins)
1oz fuggles (dry hopped)

If anyone has done anything remotely like this, let me know, I have no idea what to expect, but it was pretty dark going into the fermentor. Any ideas on how long this should age once out of the primary?

Does it sound like it will turn out alright? In my beginning stages still, I just am enjoying experimenting, but I combined several recipes to achieve that one. With my initial gravity of 1.080, and an anticipated gravity of 1.02 or so, should my dry yeast be able to handle approx 8%/volume? From what I read, it should be ok, but I just wanted to make sure. I didn't make much of a starter, so I hope it gets going ok, no bubbles out of the airlock this morning, but hopefully something tonight.

yes i think everything will turn out very well with that receipe :)

you have enough fermentables in there to get the yeast going strong, i don't think you'll miss anything without a starter. did you re-hydrate the yeast prior to pitching it? i've used dry yeast several times, and have boiled about a cup of water, let it cool, throw the yeast in there, cover it and let it sit for about 15 minutes. then i stirr it up and pitch it. i have had good results on all my dry yeast batches.

if you kept everything sanitary and do not open the lid you will be good to go!. i'm assuming you got a plastic bucket as a primary? are you going to rack to a secondary? if so, like i said before, one month minimum will not hurt that beer, then two weeks in the bottle before you open one.

if you are going right to a bottle after the primary, i'd let it sit in the bottles for at least four weeks before cracking one.

w00t! i love stout!

Thanks t1master.

Unfortunately, all I have is a plastic "Ale Pail" type primary, and no glass carboys yet, but it may be time to invest ;) I wish my primary was glass as well, as the curiousity gets to me often, but this one, I think I'll wait out.

Do you find a secondary preferential to simply a longer bottle conditioning?

yes secondary is prefered, but you will get similar results with just the primary and then bottle conditioning....

get the beer out of the primary after a week. the plastic gets sorta funky!!!

woah......I made an Imperial Stout with a similar amount of malt....I'm tellin' ya, that things gonna blow...mine was such a pain in the a$$ to keep up with. I ended up having to leave the lid off my fermenter once it was going really good. It bubbled over a bit, but I think there was soooooooo much CO2 coming out, there weren't gonna be any nasties getting in. It settled down after the overnight experience mentioned above. Racked it to the secondary this past Saturday....I think I created jet fuel. I had 1 measured cup of it to sample, and I was feelin' it....initially, it tasted like a shot of Jack, but then all those nice stout flavors came through....DEFINITELY warms ya up!!!

Back