Oh Crap! Too much Carapils!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_me_plz

Reaction score
I went to the homebrew shop to get some grains and hops today. While I was checking out and chit chatting with the owner another guy was grinding my grains for me. I threw a 1 lb bag of carapils and 1 lb crystal 60 on the counter. Along with all the other ingredients. I paid and left not even realizing I never told him only a half pound of each. So, low and behold I have a whole pound of each mixed in with all of my grains!

It's an ESB 5 gal batch. Here's the original PM recipe.

3lb 2-row
1 lb marris otter
8 oz. carapils
8 oz crystal 60
3 lb light extract
1 lb dextrose

If I remove 1 lb of extract the gravities match up with the guidlines but i'm afraid it will be to malty.

This is how it looks now:

3lb 2-row
1 lb carapils
1 lb marris otter
1 lb crystal 60
2 lb light extract
1 lb dextrose

my IBUs come in around 44

Other than a lower mash temp does anyone have any suggestions?? or should i just go for it?

I don't have much advice besides that I think that's way too much Carpils/Crystal. Bitters are light colored beers. Use only one pound of the two pound mix (8 ounces each of Crystal Carapils). Keep the other pound for some other time, and use the 3rd pound of extract

It will be fine. It may not be exactly to style but it will be good beer. there are a lot of recipes the use 1 lb of cara and l60

so you have 5 pounds of mixed grains? Maybe mix it up as good as you can and proportion out some? I agree with Glynn, as long as your heart wasnt set on meeting style guide lines.

This came out a lighter color and maltier than I intended:

My Bitter

If I was worried, I go get more base grain, mix the whole thing up well, and store the other half in a freezer. I've done that, with good results.

Conversely, get the other base grain and brew a double batch?

I'm betting it would be OK beer with a little extra character the way it is.

I don't have much advice besides that I think that's way too much Carpils/Crystal. Bitters are light colored beers. Use only one pound of the two pound mix (8 ounces each of Crystal Carapils). Keep the other pound for some other time, and use the 3rd pound of extract

Could you please elaborate on the effects the extra specialty grains may have on the taste, mouth feel, head retention?

I am relatively new and do fairly simple beers.

Could you please elaborate on the effects the extra specialty grains may have on the taste, mouth feel, head retention?

I am relatively new and do fairly simple beers.

Hyjacker :p :D

DYNA - the carapils will give it more body, the crystal will make it darker and sweeter and over all the brew will be a little less better then he originally planed it to be

You could take half of the grains out and add extra extract, or you could add more hops and up the IBUs and hop flavor to balance out the residual sweetness. At this point it will probably end up being cloyingly sweet. Or you could add some chocolate malt and brew a porter....

Dynachrome said:
Did you ever finish this?

Yes I did. I hit my temps right on during the mash and hit my post boil gravity right on. everything went perfect till my wort chiller hose clamp decided to break and spew water everywhere.

Luckily I caught it right as it happened and moved the kettle to the bath tub with some ice water.

Fermentation was slow to start but really picked up after day two. I fermented around 68 and slowly brought it to about 72 over a weeks time. I dry hopped after 7 days. FG at dry hopping was ~1.018. Which gives me about 5% ABV. I'm really happy with the results. It's definitely malty but not overly so. Should get better in a month or so. I'm going to enter it into blue bonnet brew off in dallas with a couple other brews. We'll see how it does. I'll report back if I can remember too..

I did a first wort hopping with this one as well. Love the smooth bitterness it gives a beer. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it!!

Back