Style you will never brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will brew everything except non-alcoholic beer.

It's not really beer, but I don't see myself ever wanting to make kvass

cheezydemon3 said:
HA! Another "I'll never" reneger!!!!

Add another one to the list. And I'm the one who started the thread! But since that time, I have fallen in love with IPAs. I've now even brewed a few IPAs and a DIPA. So much for "I'll never."

Add another one to the list. And I'm the one who started the thread! But since that time, I have fallen in love with IPAs. I've now even brewed a few IPAs and a DIPA. So much for "I'll never."

I'm in the same boat... I said barleywine and RIS, I have already made (and consumed) a killer barleywine that was originally intended to be a IIPA but got too big and have plans for a big RIS that will get coffee and mexican chocolate that I am going to name Super Bean :ban:

Wheat beer, just not a fan.

Also, anything with fruit in it. I've never had a fruit beer that I've enjoyed.

Wheat beer, just not a fan.

Also, anything with fruit in it. I've never had a fruit beer that I've enjoyed.

Orange ale changed my world.

8lbs 2 row
2 lbs pilsen
1 lb crystal 20

1/2 oz glacier 60 minutes

whole peel of 1 tangerine last 10 minutes of boil

yeast

DELICIOUS.

I want to say IPA, but I would lie if I said I didn't have some IPA recipes written down in my little pink leopard print book. I've been trying to get into IPAs and realized that its not something I would want to drink while drinking (so to speak), has some IPAs while eating some greasy delicious pizza and found that the IPA is great for washing it down (like eating a really rich steak dinner and having red wine to wash it all down).

Anyone with experience doing a SMaSH with Brewer's Gold?

Orange ale changed my world.

8lbs 2 row
2 lbs pilsen
1 lb crystal 20

1/2 oz glacier 60 minutes

whole peel of 1 tangerine last 10 minutes of boil

yeast

DELICIOUS.

It's not for lack of trying, it's just not my thing. For some reason when I taste fruit in a beer, it just tastes fake to me. Like someone dropped a life saver of that flavor in and let it dissolve.

I'm sure that part of it has to do with my odd palette. The same reason I don't eat pickles on hamburgers or green peppers on pizza. Even one pickle on a hamburger, I might as well throw the beef out and just eat a pickle between two slices of bread. Green pepper does the same thing on pizza to me. And it seems that fruit does it in beer. I assume that's why it tastes fake to me, because it's so overwhelming.

Gluten free is a style that I will never brew; every sorghum beer that I have tasted was, in my opinion, a drain poor.

Gluten free is a style that I will never brew; every sorghum beer that I have tasted was, in my opinion, a drain poor.

What made them so bad? I'm curious because I have a buttload of sorghum a friend gave me to try out

I won't say I'll never brew them, but stouts are at the very bottom of my list to brew. I haven't found a stout I've enjoyed, but it has been about 15 years since I've last tried so might give them another go eventually. If I end up liking them I'll probably brew them; stranger things have happened like I'm now addicted to black licorice.

Any American style Lager. Light, Standard, etc. I wretch when trying to drink the stuff.

I'm not a big Pilsner fan but I have been enjoying Pilsner Urqell. So maybe one day I'd try making a Bohemian pils. (Assuming I have the equipment for it lol.)

I won't say I'll never brew them, but stouts are at the very bottom of my list to brew. I haven't found a stout I've enjoyed, but it has been about 15 years since I've last tried so might give them another go eventually. If I end up liking them I'll probably brew them; stranger things have happened like I'm now addicted to black licorice.

Most people (unfortunately) use Guinness as the standard :confused:

If you like coffee, then you probably like a real stout.

Stay away from nitro taps and try a solid middle of the road one, like schlafly coffe stout or oatmeal stout.

There are a ton of good ones.

Stay away from nitro taps and try a solid middle of the road one, like schlafly coffe stout or oatmeal stout.

I had an Espresso Stout sampler once. It was on Nitro though. The flavors were pretty good. I'd have to try them side by side to tell the difference between C02 and N02 carbonation.

Nitro dulls all flavor and gives it this creamy under taste and mouthfeel that I HATE.

Got an Old Speckled Hen on draft recently and it was on NITRO for some effing reason. This lovely ale with a little hop bite in Co2, was totally watered down...or should I say "creamed down"?

Very little hops, creamy cascading bubbles, BLECH!

I guess what I am taking from this little experiment of a thread, is that Either you like beer, or you don't.

Hell, I recently had a lambic that was ok! ;)

If you have a style you hate, wait a year and see how you feel.

NEVER SAY NEVER!!!!!
:mug:

I had an Espresso Stout sampler once. It was on Nitro though. The flavors were pretty good. I'd have to try them side by side to tell the difference between C02 and N02 carbonation.

Stouts have a very wide range of flavors that take a few till you find what you like. For me it took a Stone Smoked Porter and Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout to find the flavors I liked.

I my never make a siason/farmhouse and sour beers.

What made them so bad? I'm curious because I have a buttload of sorghum a friend gave me to try out

I do not like the base flavor. Maybe if it was made into an IPA the aggressive hops would cover it up. Might be worth a try.

Actually Guinness was one of the worst for me; I can't really remember what the others were Guinness stands out because that was every ones go to when trying to get me to try again. The one thing that always stood out was they had an overly strong charcoal taste to them, at least to me at the time.

I'll try them again eventually; I almost never write anything off. Actually have a friend at work that enjoys stouts so might get some advice from him on what to try, and if he tells me Guinness I'll punch him in the nuts.

jtakacs said:
PM me your addy... my sour hating brew buddy just got the first taste of my latest... he's a lager/ipa guy. his comment was "this is a sour? it just makes me want to drink another"... sours don't have to be out of control. i'll happily send u one.

I'll take you up on that! I'm just back from San Diego trip and had some nice sours. Never thought I'd like them, but planing one for my next brew!

I'm also interested in using the Brett Trois for doing an IPA.

I'm probably never going to brew a Baltic porter. Or pulque.

cheezydemon3 said:
HA! Another "I'll never" reneger!!!! Making an american light lager as we speak........DAMMIT! I have developed a slight penchant for Miller Lite with a fresh slice of lime in it. Long story, but strange coincidences and making the best of bad situations has made me put fresh slices of lime in um......plain tasting beer. FWIW, if nothing else, NEVER buy corona again. Miller with a lime is better, cheaper.

Hah!

My first lager attempt was a miller lite type clone. Pissed me off because it took up my only temp controlled ferm space for so long. Came out good, but so much easier to just buy the **** than to brew it....

TD

I can't see myself ever brewing a lager. I would rather go thirsty than drink a Bud. I had been a pretty big fan of Sam Adams for years, but not any more. Anything that even resembles a lager tastes like shi*. Oh, yea I meant Bud. I hope my taste for Kolsch beers and Bocks aren't ruined.

I still will never ever never ever make and Ovaltine beer.:) Did I say,NEVER ?

I'll probably renege on this, but spending more time and energy to make a lager doesn't make sense to me. Why would I go further to make something I like less?

The answer is probably, "because someone else wants to drink it," but I certainly don't see a lager in my foreseeable future.

A more realistic answer is gluten-free. I've never had a gluten-free beer and thus have nothing against the category, but neither do I have any motivation to make a gluten-free beer, and it's much further off the beaten path than a lager.

I can't see myself ever brewing a lager. I would rather go thirsty than drink a Bud. I had been a pretty big fan of Sam Adams for years, but not any more. Anything that even resembles a lager tastes like shi*. Oh, yea I meant Bud. I hope my taste for Kolsch beers and Bocks aren't ruined.

Don't let Revvy hear ya! ;)

I said the same thing, but I have made 2.

Revvy swears by his Vienna Lager. I need to try it.

FWIW I still really dig SA.

Don't let Revvy hear ya! ;)

I said the same thing, but I have made 2.

Revvy swears by his Vienna Lager. I need to try it.

FWIW I still really dig SA.

I used to always swear I wouldn't make a lager and have 10gal of dunkel in primary right now...

I'm gunna brew up some more of my hybrid lagers. Lager like qualities in a beer I can make at temps I can manage with WL029.
The ones I think I'll never brew are Belgian sours. I'd have to dedicate seperate equipment to those. And they tighten my guts when I drink them. So buying some now & then is better for me. Like chimay blue label.
Speakin of revvy,where is he? Did he fall off the edge of the earth or something??

This is just insane! Lagers don't have to be **** American lagers! German lagers are hard to beat, oh man...
And besides, brewing lager is a step up from brewing ale. So much more skill involved in brewing a great lager.

I'd say I'll probably never brew a sour. Absolutely zero interest in sour beers aside from something like Framois Lambic. But I don't really consider that a sour.

I think a homebrewed lager sounds delicious, and cant wait to try to make one.

Im not a huge fan of hefenweizens, so I probably wouldnt make one. Not really a fan of barley wines either.

Cellarbrau said:
Scotch Ale

I really like scotch ale, well I thought I really did;) I made a 5 gallon batch and its still around. It was good and hit the style perfectly, but the thought of drinking another one makes me want to puke. Good thing Christmas is coming, can you say gifts. I'll never make another one. I'm a hop head at heart.

This is just insane! Lagers don't have to be **** American lagers! German lagers are hard to beat, oh man...
And besides, brewing lager is a step up from brewing ale. So much more skill involved in brewing a great lager.

EASY!!! I remember thinking the same thing as a noob. And just because it is harder doesn't make it better.

It has it's place, but I am a once every 2 years lager kinda brewer.....still a far cry from "NEVER" though ;)

It's not for lack of trying, it's just not my thing. For some reason when I taste fruit in a beer, it just tastes fake to me. Like someone dropped a life saver of that flavor in and let it dissolve.

I'm sure that part of it has to do with my odd palette. The same reason I don't eat pickles on hamburgers or green peppers on pizza. Even one pickle on a hamburger, I might as well throw the beef out and just eat a pickle between two slices of bread. Green pepper does the same thing on pizza to me. And it seems that fruit does it in beer. I assume that's why it tastes fake to me, because it's so overwhelming.

I never thought I'd want to do any fruit beers either, at most a New Glarus Cherry Stout clone or a Raspberry Wheat of some kind. But 5th all-grain recipe (although inadvisable) I did a mulberry wheat ale with a dash of gooseberries, and lemon peel. Did a LOT of things wrong, but its still a tasty beer, and is a very mouthy thick beer. I used to always think fruit beers were, for lack of a better term fruity and thought only wussies drink fruit beers. If it's balanced I've never had an issue with the "life saver" effect.

I have on the other hand tried lots of commercial beers that had the "life saver" effect and can see how it could quickly turn someone off from the idea of trying to make a fruit beer of their own.

I'd also have to say I'd never brew a lager. I prefer the tastes that are imparted by the ale yeasts well above the clarity and crispness achieved by lagering. The visual quality is much better with lagering, but it just seems to take too much from the taste while ale strains seem to enhance and add to the taste.

Just doesn't seem worth it to invest in the extra equipment when American, doppelbock, and marzen recipes taste even better when fermented with good ol' US-05 or WLP001.

I don't see myself brewing a saison. I've only had a couple examples, and I have to say I'm not a fan.

Belgian wit

I don't care for Belgians in general...the beers, not the people...then, again. jk
I've never had the urge to suck on my dirty gym socks or chew on a sweaty bandaid...so yeah, I stay clear.

Quite a few for me. Sours, smoked, spiced holiday ales etc. Not because I dislike them but because I don't want 5 plus gallons of them.

I've recently had a personal epiphany in beer preferences. I visited SF a few years ago with my wife, and hit the Russian River Brew pub. tried Pliny for first time. tried a sour beer on draft. Didn't love it, but was enjoyed, dont recall which it was. Also had consecration ale, which might have been the one. not sure. Bought some bottles of a variety of their stuff and shipped home. Recall it was temptation, consecration, and pliny and blind pig, and damnation - 5 bottles, only 2 sours..

Anyway, my next visit to CA, this time SD, I found more sour beers to try: Lost Abbey, and more Russian River and also some by Almanac.

Sour beers are now a passion, sort of like when I first got into tasting HOPS in beer. Then began my passion of IPA, IIPA (Which didn't exist back then), and other extreme hopped beers.

Gotta say that everybody loves their favored style of beer for a reason, and as I grow older my palate is also becoming more open to new flavors. Loving the sour beers right now.

They are very different, but also very satisfying and enjoyable.

TD

This just goes back to when I first tried Porters, I only tried one or two then judged,then was a hater. Judgin and hatin on the porters, I tell ya.:eek: Gotta try more of the style til ya be-all hatein. Now I be a loving and a livin with the porters. Lovin' and a Liven'.:D

Back