HERMS recirculating through CFC hose help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I was diagramming my HERMS setup and there's one piece I'm having trouble visualizing. I was going to recirculate through my CFC to sanitize it at the end of the boil using a recirculation port on the BK. The thing I can't seem to get is what to do for the hoses. I'd use a hose with female camlocks on both ends to go from the CFC to BK. The female camlock won't fit in my carboy so what do you do to transfer once sanitation is done? Switch to a hose with only one female camlock for the CFC end (this doesn't seem right since the CFC and hose will be full). Make a short piece of hose with a male camlock to connect to the 2 female camlock hose?

I feel like I'm overthinking this...:confused:

I just hold the female camlock over the carboy pointing in. It shoots a very contained stream, it's not like a fire hose.

So you just hold the hose over the carboy the entire time the wort is chilling? Seems like that would be a pain. I'd rather be able to do some cleaning up or something while it's chilling.

Not to just throw money away but I think I'd rather go the route of having a male camlock on a short hose and just attach it to the female. I was just looking for some alternative ideas.

You could put a three port valve on the boil kettle. One port for the inlet, one port back into the kettle then one port out to the fermenter. The fermenter hose would not need the cam lock on the other end. Once the cfc is sanitized just open the fermenter port and fill er up.

Latest posts

Back