Carbouy Destruction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
While racking my altbier, and Warrior Red Ale I experienced my first casualty in the brewery last night.
I managed to drop a 6 gallon carbouy filled with H2O and Iodophor on the floor in the basement. It didn't quite shatter into a million pieces, but the water did get everywhere. I escaped injury. Thank goodness for unfinished basements.
First smashed carbouy since I started brewing in 1991.:eek:

Well, at least you've got a pair of munchkins who don't mind picking up pieces of broken glass from the basement floor.. :D

And hey - now the floor is sanitized!

Wow...lots of these lately it seems. I am collecting better bottles and other means of fermentation--in hopes of ditching the glass carboys completely.

Scary stuff.

Glad you are okay, glad there was no need to play the pipes in mourning for beer loss.

I have 4 carboys. Most of them are over 13 years old. I have never broken/cracked one (yet). Of course they are almost always in milk crates.

I think the secret to my success with them is whenever I fill them or empty them I put them on the counter and use an autosyphon. I never handle them full or half full.

Of course I use a jet bottle washer on them so that's about the only time they are out of the crates.

Another thing that also helps is my basement sink is a plastic style so there are no hard surfaces.

NOOOOOOO!

Sorry to hear it man. At least you didn't drop other (yellow) glass jar in your basement!!

same happened to me two weeks ago. brewing since 94 with out incedent and BAM broken carboy and 6+ gallons of iodine solution on my kitchen floor. no one was hurt but what a mess. and now I'm down to four carboys. I was an unhappy brewer that day!

Back