power switch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doulovebeef

Reaction score
ive been drawing up different designs for a electric brew stand im piecing together but i have a question about the power switch i want to use. i was wondering if the switch in the following link would be able to safely handle 120V at 20 amps? sorry for the noob question, and thanks for all your help guys!

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p3996.html

:rockin:

ive been drawing up different designs for a electric brew stand im piecing together but i have a question about the power switch i want to use. i was wondering if the switch in the following link would be able to safely handle 120V at 20 amps? sorry for the noob question, and thanks for all your help guys!

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p3996.html

:rockin:
For direct power On/Off control I use industrial disconnects which you can buy for most amperage rating.

Orange operator

SwitchesFrontView-1.jpg

Bottom left, gray switch body

100_0050-1.jpg

For indirect control (through contactors, relays) I use as passedpawn
suggested AutomationDirect switches.

Indirect control for a brewing application, green switch by AutomationDirect

100_0398.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

For direct power On/Off control I use industrial disconnects which you can buy for most amperage rating.

Orange operator

SwitchesFrontView-1.jpg

Bottom left, gray switch body

100_0050-1.jpg

For indirect control (through contactors, relays) I use as passedpawn
suggested AutomationDirect switches.

Indirect control for a brewing application, green switch by AutomationDirect

100_0398.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Yea those are the switches i thought i was looking at, i just want one that illuminates when energized so i have a main cut off switch before the power got to my 'panel'. i have a friend who is very familiar with wiring thats going to help me with the wiring to make sure i dont fry myself.

As for my 'panel', i was thinking about using something like this: PC-100A 8 Channel Power Strip with Lighted Toggles

im only going to run 1 1500W low density element at time, one will be in my hlt and the other (both heat sticks) in my 7 gallon boil kettle (i do 5 gallon batches). do u think one element would be enough to maintain a boil if i was to use propane to get it started? btw, im running off of 120v. i just want to get all this still figured out before i start dropping cash

thank you to all who allow me to pick there brains!

I built my control panel identical to the one found on www.theelectricbrewery.com. It is based on 220v, but you can find plenty of ideas on what is possible even at the 120v you are looking to run IMO.

Back