just brewed the midwest supplies pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I made it last year as recommended on the Midwest kit, it came out just tasting like an ale. It didn't taste of the spices at all, nor did it taste like pumpkin. This year I am majorly increased the pumpkin (120oz), roasted about half of this, and added an extra 1/4tsp allspice, 1/4tsp nutmeg, and two split vanilla beans. I can't tell you how it is yet because it is still in secondary, but I am betting it is going to be a lot better.

I wouldn't worry about the irish moss. It's more about presentation than flavor. I added irish moss too see the effect it has, but I really don't give a rip about presentation. I like the haze in beer, honestly.

I had my brother bring over some Irish moss. So I ended up OK there. Otherwise, I followed Wheatmeister's recipe. I'm looking froward to this one.

So that 120 ounces of pumkin took up a lot of room in the primary. I think I was left with only 3 gallons or so to move into the secondary....

So that 120 ounces of pumkin took up a lot of room in the primary. I think I was left with only 3 gallons or so to move into the secondary....

I added the pumpkin to my mini-mash and lost ~1 gallon when I racked to secondary.

I used the American ale Wyeast Activator 1056, made a starter a few days ahead of time cause of all the extra fermentables

Hey WM. I really like how you describe the more robust flavor of your tweak. I am getting ready to do my FIRST ever brew and decided to do the MW Pumpkin Ale but with your tweak. I opted for the Wyeast Activator when buying the kit.

My question is, since this is my first brew, is it really necessary to do the starter? If anyone else has their thoughts I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Nope. Just be sure to "smack" and activate the Wyeast a couple of hours before use and also to sanitize the package before you dump it into the cooled wort.

I also plan on attempting a variation of this recipe this weekend. This is my second home brew ever (I just bottled an English pub ale/session pale ale) and I was curious how long people are leaving the pumpkin ales in secondary or the bottles? I noticed people seem to be kegging, but I will only be able to bottle my concoction. Does waiting a year "finish" the beer? How will it taste around late Oct./Nov. of this year?

Also, I was under the impression that fruit beers did not "age" well.

I'd recommend the 1-2-3 method. 1 week in the primary (5-7 days), 2 weeks in secondary, and 3 in the bottle. It will only get better from there. But it's probably drinkable doing a 1-1-2.

Finally brewed this today, 2.5g boil
-60 oz of Libbys mixed with 2 table spoons of pumpkin spice and baked @ 400* for 45 mins.
-Steeped 1/2 of the baked pumpkin with grains for 30 mins
-Added 1 extra cup of brown sugar with LME pre boil
-10 mins added other 1/2 of pumpkin, aroma hops, 1 tbs of pumpkin spice, all spice, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks, and 1 more cup of brown sugar (and supplied spice pack)

Got wort down to 70*, re-hydrated yeast and pitched, OG was on the money @ 1.046.

Finally brewed this today, 2.5g boil
-60 oz of Libbys mixed with 2 table spoons of pumpkin spice and baked @ 400* for 45 mins.
-Steeped 1/2 of the baked pumpkin with grains for 30 mins
-Added 1 extra cup of brown sugar with LME pre boil
-10 mins added other 1/2 of pumpkin, aroma hops, 1 tbs of pumpkin spice, all spice, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks, and 1 more cup of brown sugar (and supplied spice pack)

Got wort down to 70*, re-hydrated yeast and pitched, OG was on the money @ 1.046.

I, personally, would love to know how this turns out...

Me too, it tasted good, and smelled good through out the house.
It's my first pumpkin so I'm nervous about it, I'm worried about the ferm temp though, its @ 70* and was bubbling away this morning. (turned the A/C off)

Followed this recipe on Friday night, ended up with an OG of 1.06.
Could this be because I didnt account for all the pumpkin when I topped off to 5 gallons in the fermentor?

ampsman said:
Followed this recipe on Friday night, ended up with an OG of 1.06.
Could this be because I didnt account for all the pumpkin when I topped off to 5 gallons in the fermentor?

Maybe, you had just 5g of wort in the fermenter right? (no pumpkinin there) My OG was 1.046 and I used nor sugars than the recipe called for.

I had put the pumpkin straight into the wort for the last 5 minutes of the boil, I didnt use a bag for it, so yes there was pumpkin in there.
I didnt even think about that when I was topping off. DOHHHHHHH!!

ampsman said:
I had put the pumpkin straight into the wort for the last 5 minutes of the boil, I didnt use a bag for it, so yes there was pumpkin in there.
I didnt even think about that when I was topping off. DOHHHHHHH!!

Did you pitch already? I'm guessing you did.

It's ok, you will have less beer in the end with a higher ABV.
I strain everything before it goes into the fermenter with any batch. I put the pumpkin in a steeping bag to though.

ampsman said:
Yup...pitched and fermenting nicely.
oh well, chill and let it do its thing and see how it ends up.
Would 2 primary and 2 secondary be good?

If you are gonna add some spices and want to get if off the trube, the secondary, but I would let that sit in the primary for 3-4 weekswith that OG. When I keg my batch, I'm gonna rack ontop of some pure Vanilla extract.
With my OG @1.046, I'm letting sit in the primary till early-mid October, then keg. Might not even taste good, but whatever.

I am going to be doing this on thursday... I cant wait! Any tips from those who have already brewed it?

I've made this once, and I plan to change the recipe to 60 oz pumpkin and no honey. Steep the pumpkin in a boil bag along with adjunct grains.

Thanks Viking. I planned on doing 90oz and no honey as well.

Did you just mix the pumpkin and grains in one steeping bag, which u discarded after the boil? I was strongly considering putting the caramelized pumpkin in separately so I could transfer it to the primary as well and gain more of the flavor.

Thoughts?

I’m trying it this week with I can of pumpkin, roasted with brown sugar in the mash. In the primary, I’m going to dump three jars of Dickinson (brand) Pumpkin butter, and in the secondary I’m going to put 4 cinnamon sticks and 2 vanilla beans split. I have high hopes.

I’m trying it this week with I can of pumpkin, roasted with brown sugar in the mash. In the primary, I’m going to dump three jars of Dickinson (brand) Pumpkin butter, and in the secondary I’m going to put 4 cinnamon sticks and 2 vanilla beans split. I have high hopes.

Why in the mash though? I've read a number of interviews with professional brewers lately (just googling pumpkin ales) and they all pretty much agree there's no reason to mash the pumpkin as there are too few convertible starches in pumpkin to be worth it and it often leads to a stuck mash. I've typically read they only put the pumpkin in the boil. Just asking, I'm not experienced enough to know from past efforts - only started my first pumpkin this past weekend and did 30 minutes in the boil after an hour long bake at 350 with 8oz brown sugar mixed in. Can't wait to try it.

Rev.

I couldn't say which is better, pumpkin in the mash or the boil. I would, however, put it in a boil bag regardless. I did 120 oz in the boil and I have to admit that I don't think that it gave the brew that much flavor. And if it did, it is masked by the honey flavor. My opinion now is that pumkin ales are mostly flavored by the spices, and only subtley flavored by the actual pumkin. I mean, pumkpin is not a strong flavor to begin with.

Collins, if you have two bags you might as well use them.... On my first try I put the pumpkin in the boil and I was disappointed with the result. It's not bad beer, just not great.

Why in the mash though? I've read a number of interviews with professional brewers lately (just googling pumpkin ales) and they all pretty much agree there's no reason to mash the pumpkin as there are too few convertible starches in pumpkin to be worth it and it often leads to a stuck mash. I've typically read they only put the pumpkin in the boil. Just asking, I'm not experienced enough to know from past efforts - only started my first pumpkin this past weekend and did 30 minutes in the boil after an hour long bake at 350 with 8oz brown sugar mixed in. Can't wait to try it.

Rev.

I have not tried to make this yet...but many of the 100s of post i've read have mashing it as part of the process. I'll let you know is 6 to 8 weeks if it works or not.

Update:

I brewed this today with the following recipe...

1. Bake 120oz Libby's canned pumpkin at 350 for 60 min to caramelize
2. Steep grains at 155 for 30 min – let rest for 10 min
3. 25% of LME, 1 cup brown sugar, and 3/4oz Mt Hood hops (in muslin)- 60 min
4. 1 tsp irish moss (in muslin) – 15 min
5. All pumpkin (in nylon bag), remaining LME, 1oz Cascade hops (in muslin) – 5 min
6. 1 Tbsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice from kit - @ flameout
7. Cool wort to 70deg
8. Transfer to primary bucket
9. Take gravity reading
10. Pitch dry yeast
11. Aerate for 10 minutes
12. Re-insert nylon bag containing pumpkin
13. Seal bucket and insert airlock

I was able to do this with great success. I ended up topping off with ~1gal to get to a total volume of 5gal. I had a OG = 1.046, which was spot on. I decided to leave the nylon bag full of pumpkin in the primary, as it was not in the boil very long and I am hoping it will keep marinating over the next 2 weeks or so.

I plan on adding 4 cinnamon sticks and 3Tbsp Vanilla extract to the secondary before racking. Also, may use brown sugar for priming before bottling.

Can't wait to see how this turns out! It smelled SOOOOOO good!!!

P.S.- Just want to send a thank you to Wheat, Rev, Viking, and anyone else who gave recommendations in this thread. You guys rock!

P.S.- Just want to send a thank you to Wheat, Rev, Viking, and anyone else who gave recommendations in this thread. You guys rock!

Aww, that's awful nice of you! Hmm... just hit me that's a weird expression - "awful" nice of you LOL.

So, your recipe looks great, very similar to what I did in a number of ways but I boiled the pumpkin for 30min. The spices... from some of the feedback I got in another thread of mine they thought my 1tsp of each spice was too much. I eventually went with 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp cloves. Mine also smelled amazing and tasted phenomenal out of the hydrometer sample. The nice thing about pumpkin ale though is the spices can be increased at bottling time if the final hydro sample isn't exactly what you're looking for. Just add the additional spices in a little vodka to kill any possible germs, add to the mix, gentle stir, and bottle.

Only question I have for you is... why did you put the irish moss in the muslin bag? I'm not experienced enough yet to know if this is ok or not so it's not a critique, merely a question. Reason I ask is because the irish moss or Whirlfloc is made to bind with the proteins and I'm wondering if having it in a sack would reduce the efficiency. Granted, a muslin bag allows a lot more matter in the wort than a nylon straining bag so it might be a mute point anyway. Just wondering.

Congrats on the brew!! Let us know how it goes and be sure to report back, so many people never do. I sure will be :)

Rev.

Rev,

Thanks for the info. Not really sure why I added the moss to the bag. Ive never used it before, so just threw it in a bag as I was doing with everything else.

I could see where that could decrease its efficiency.

I will be sure to let you know how it turns out!

I took a gravity reading today (after 1 week in primary). The gravity has come down into the target range quite nicely.

I tasted the sample I took, instead of dumping back in, and I cant even taste the pumpkin flavor... I even have 120oz of Libbys canned pumpkin in a nylon boiling bag sitting in the primary. It just tastes like an ale...

Thoughts?

I tasted the sample I took, instead of dumping back in, and I cant even taste the pumpkin flavor... I even have 120oz of Libbys canned pumpkin in a nylon boiling bag sitting in the primary. It just tastes like an ale...

Thoughts?

I sampled mine after one week, more so to see if I got the spices where I want them so I can get ready to brew up another batch soon. Mine tasted like pumpkin, but my 60oz went straight into the boil for 30 minutes then unstrained into my fermenter. The color in the glass when I took the sample was amazing!! A perfect amber orange color. Maybe for pumpkin it helps a bit more to have the flesh actually in the wort? I dunno, many have done it successfully using a straining bag too so not sure here.

Rev.

Ok, I brewed this last Sunday (2nd batch so far!). I did stray a little bit from the recipe (added the pumpkin sooner, upped the spices some), and pitched using the Wyeast option. My OG was at 1.046, right on the money according to the recipe. I had plenty of action the first couple days, and was pretty much done on Thursday. Checked FG Friday, 1.008. Checked it again yesterday, 1.008. I put it into my carboy to let all the bad stuff settle out before bottling.

Now my question. Would it do any harm to bottle this on say, Thursday, assuming I've got all the fermentables done.? That would make 1 week in primary, 4 days in secondary. We have guests coming to town about the 3rd week in october, and I would love to have this done for when they get here.

No harm. it might clean up or whatnot a little better with another week or two in the fermenter but if you want it in time for your guests go for it. It will probably still come out nicely.

Rev.

Answer to above - I would wait a little longer to let the yeast finish cleaning up. Or maybe bottle a sample and see how it comes out so you can compare with the "aged" version. Just my opinion - maybe someone with a little more scientific knowledge will comment.

I did the Austin Homebrew Pumpkin Ale this weekend. I quartered a good sized pumpkin, sprinkled it liberally with pumpkin pie spice and baked it for one hour at 350. After it cooled, I peeled off the skin and cut it into chunks that went into two grain bags. They went into the boil for an hour. The grain sacks held the pumpkin in so I didn't end up with a big mess. I highly recommend the grain bag method of containing the pumpkin.

Taking the bags out of the hot wort was an adventure because they got even heavier but I drained them and poured the excess liquid back into the pot. Also added the spices that came with the kit.

The results were really sticky but smelled awesome. Color was a deep pumpkin orange. Fermenting now. Can't wait.

any ideas on what kit is the better one to start with, the northern smashed pumpkin or the midwest? this is going to be my second beer, my first is still in primary. I plan to take a little from everyones recipe to make my own, just looking for a good starting point.
Thanks everyone

Back