Rice solids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
My brew day is today and I have never used rice solids. What are they? How do you use them? Where can I find them? I searched the internet, but found surprisingly little for the noob like me.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I am making a recipe that calls for one pound of rice solids, I misunderstood this and bought rice hulls. My brew day is today, and I thought I better make sure I was correct on the ingredients. Well, I obviously was incorrect and am glad I caught my mistake early enough. I hope you can help me.

Rice solids are sold at local suppliers. It looks like a small white bag of white flour.

I've only used them once with mixed results. I believe they need to be mashed (1 hour at 50F, for example) to release sugers necessary for formenting.

They don't add much flavor and tend to produce a dry beer.... obviously both rice and corn are used a bunch in light commerical pi$s beers like Coors light, Bud light, etc...

Rice solids are used as a fermentable in extract beers, to replace flaked rice. If your recipe includes rice, you can use use Minute Rice instead.

What's the recipe? We can help you get it right.

rice hulls are inert and are used to avoid all grain mash drainage issues in a brewing tun, for example. Hulls do not provide any fermentation materials to the brew; right?

If you don't have rice solids, I beleive you can use steamed white rice as a substitute, but that is a guess on my part....

Rice syrup solids are a granulated powder adjunct, like corn sugar or maltodextrin. Adds gravity without impacting color or flavor. Lightens body and dries the finish. Typically added in the last 15min of boil.

If you brew All grain or do partial mash, you could use Minute Rice in the mash in place of the rice solids for the boil.

Right- rice hulls are NOT a substitute. They are just empty hulls, used to take up room on the MLT to prevent a stuck sparge when you're using lots of "sticky" stuff like wheat and oats. Wheat doesn't have a husk like barley, so you use rice hulls to help with lautering.

Rice solids are just like DME, but made with rice instead of barley. It can be used like DME or corn sugar, in the boil.

A good sub for rice solids if you're mashing is Minute Rice. It's the closest sub to flaked rice for brewing.

EDIT- Xiang said the same thing, but beat me by a couple of seconds. I'm not just parroting what he said, no matter how it looks!!!!

Thanks! Yeah, I used rice hulls in a Belgian Wit a few weeks ago. This recipe comes from the book Clone Brews. It is an AG clone of Piraat. Would I just add the minute rice to the mash, or do I need to do something to it prior to mashing the grains, which calls for a 90 minute mash at 149.

The recipe says to add them at the beginning of the boil with the bittering hops and 8 oz. candi sugar.

Thanks! Yeah, I used rice hulls in a Belgian Wit a few weeks ago. This recipe comes from the book Clone Brews. It is an AG clone of Piraat. Would I just add the minute rice to the mash, or do I need to do something to it prior to mashing the grains, which calls for a 90 minute mash at 149.

The recipe says to add them at the beginning of the boil with the bittering hops and 8 oz. candi sugar.

Just add the Minute Rice to the mash with the rest of your grain. Also, you can add a bit of the rice hulls you purchased to help with the lautering.

Just add the Minute Rice to the mash with the rest of your grain. Also, you can add a bit of the rice hulls you purchased to help with the lautering.

Ok, do I use the same ratio of 1.25 qt water to pound of grain with the rice? And what about water absorption in the mash? Should I just add another pound of grain to my mash calculator to account for the rice? Last time I used a whole pound of rice hulls I soaked them in hot water overnight. Is there any prep to do to them?

You all are the best! Thanks for the help.

Ok, do I use the same ratio of 1.25 qt water to pound of grain with the rice? And what about water absorption in the mash? Should I just add another pound of grain to my mash calculator to account for the rice? Last time I used a whole pound of rice hulls I soaked them in hot water overnight. Is there any prep to do to them?

You all are the best! Thanks for the help.

Just add the rice to the mash, and 1.25 quarts water/pound is fine. Include the rice in your grainbill calculation, and use that much strike water.

No need to prep rice hulls, but you could soak them a few minutes to reduce absorption if you want to. I never have- but I never used a whole pound either! A couple of handfulls of rice hulls is sufficient!

I too am using a recipe from Clone Brews and it calls for 1.5lb Rice Solids...at $5.50/lb I think Minute rice would be much less expensive....but do I swap out Rice Solids for Minute Rice pound for pound to get the same yield?

In clone beers recipe for blackened voodoo AG version it says to use 1/2 pound ( .23 kg ) of rice , grind and boil 20 minutes . Never actually says to add this to the mash but I guess this is included in the words " mash ..... with the specialty grains " .
This is a bit different from the extract version which calls for .33 pounds ( .15 kg)of rice solids .
So almost a 1/4 pound more rice than rice solids .

I wonder if it would just be easier to toss in some sugar instead . Seems like it does the same thing as the rice . Maybe a 1/8 pound for the .33 rice ????

Back