Mill flaked oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
Going to make a porter this Saturday. I will add some oats in this recipe, but was wondering if they need to be milled with the rest of the grain bill?

I just made a porter last weekend and while at the LHBS I accidentally threw my oats in their grain mill (you're not supposed to). Clogged up the mill right away and they had to take it apart and clean it out. So to answer your question, oats don't need to be milled.

It kind of depends. You don't need to mill them, but it won't hurt. When I order from Brewmasters Warehouse, the package flaked grains separately. In that case, I dump them straight in the mash. The brewery where I buy grains from will more often than not mix all the grains for a recipe together. Then, I obviously have to mill them.

FWIW, I have a Barley Crusher and haven't had problems milling flaked oats, barley or rye.

Back