Fermenting temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d510addict

Reaction score
I do not have any fancy tools for controlling my ferment temps I just leave the bucket in the warmest room in the house which is fairly cool actually....65 deg tops, but closer to 60. Is it alright to ferment at that cool of temp? will there be any ill effects or just slower ferment time?

From what I have gathered reading this section, that should be OK. Althought there are many notes on fermentation temps whether the juice is pasteurized/non in many of the threads.

Your yeast will dictate what temperature range it will ferment best at. It can still ferment outside of that range. I don't know what yeast you're using, but low 60's should be fine. As others mentioned, you will have a slower fermentation but most people actually prefer it to be slow. The biggest thing you want to watch out for, is sudden changes in temperature. If you have a thermal blanket (or even a normal blanket) you can wrap your carboy as a precautionary measure. This will help as your house changes temperature throughout the day. Another thing you can do (if your kitchen is clean) is to keep it near the back of your refrigerator.

Back