So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing up 5 gallons of a centennial/pale malt smash. I have 2 lbs of centennial hops to use!
It's my first beer in about 6 months and my first beer in my new house. So far so good! Nailed my preboil sg and all. Nice to be brewing again.

I am brewing an APA based on Sierra Nevada tomorrow. I brewed this three beers ago and I still miss it. I mourned when the keg kicked. So, I am doing a re brew. I used Amer 2 row and C60 with US-05 last time so decided to see how Weyermann Pale and Caramunich III with Bry-97 compares.

I am brewing an APA based on Sierra Nevada tomorrow. I brewed this three beers ago and I still miss it. I mourned when the keg kicked. So, I am doing a re brew. I used Amer 2 row and C60 with US-05 last time so decided to see how Weyermann Pale and Caramunich III with Bry-97 compares.

You'll have to give an update when it's done. SNPA is always my go-to beer and would love a good recipe for it. The few I've tried here, while they make good beer in the end, it doesn't really remind me of the real thing. Thanks!

Just brewed my first Oktoberfest! Everything went better than expected and did my first step mash as well!
IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

My wife is out of town this weekend and I definitely plan to brew. I will have a gallon fermentor free because the export Scottish ale should be done for bottling. Thing is I can’t decide if I want to make an Oktoberfest which would likely be late even though I want to warm ferment it or perhaps a pumpkin ale that would still be appropriate into November. I am not a take hydrometer samples person, so quick turnaround beer is not my gig. Downside of the pumpkin ale is recipe creation and possible garbage beer. Downside of the Oktoberfest is beer that fits the style perhaps, but not really lagered since March.

I have two 2.5 gallon batches I hope to bottle this week, one an IPA with mostly El Dorado hops(extract) the other a grain BIAB IPA with citra, el dorado and centennial. Once I free up a fermenter I'm hoping to do a BIAB citra/galaxy IPA recipe this weekend.

I brewed a 5 gal batch of Oatmeal Stout that was supposed to be a regular Stout, but forgot the flaked barley at the supply shop, so I improvised with what was in the pantry (Quaker Oats). OG: 1.056. Bubbling airlock subsiding.

Hope to get a brew in this Saturday. It will be a bastardized version of my California common recipe. I will make my starter Thursday evening with wlp810, but the grist has 8oz more C60 and 8oz less Munich malt. Will use aurora hops instead of northern brewer.

Doing a Ginger Beer. Two days in a fermentation bottle, then bottle with a bit more sugar and drink in a few days. Not something one ages, but a wonderful bright fizzy drink for a hot August.

Brewing the second beer for my nephew’s wedding with the help of my daughter. Doing a Blonde that’s an entry level craft beer to go with the Imperial Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout that we’ll be kegging too.

Getting a porter in tomorrow night. A little of a kitchen sink porter based on available grains in house. Opportunity opened up, so I am brewing.

Golden Promise

White Wheat
Cara-bohemia (swap out Brown)
Extra Special
Special B
Chocolate
Carafa II dehusked

Special B and Extra Special are close enough and the Special B will be a tiny quantity, so I do not expect this to get too muddled.

WY1968
Bitter Northern Brewer
Finish Mandarina Bavaria.

Setting up for brew day tomorrow (Sat)! I am brewing a New England style pale ale. I have not tried to brew a New England style anything yet (pale ale or IPA) so this is my first endeavor with this style. I chose to brew Kal's "Electric Hop Candy Jr." recipe on my Kal clone. Looks like a real winner so can't go wrong brewing this one first! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

John

image.jpg
John Palmer’s Big Basin Amber. I might take it to the local beer and wine festival next month. Trying something different to get better efficiency. Besides upping the grain bill a little from last time, I’m holding out a gallon from the starting water to rinse the bag ‘o grains out when I’m done mashing.

I have an Oktoberfest mashing right now. Can’t wait to taste this one. I have a reunion with some old high school buddies in late October. I’m going to let it lager until then. This is going to take some patience.

Hope to get a brew in this Saturday. It will be a bastardized version of my California common recipe. I will make my starter Thursday evening with wlp810, but the grist has 8oz more C60 and 8oz less Munich malt. Will use aurora hops instead of northern brewer.

I am finishing the mash as I type this (sparge in progress) and the boil should be not long afterwards. Measured out the hops and so far the brewday has been smooth.

I have even made breakfast for the family (2 and 4 legged), and picked some veggies from the container garden.

A good start to today!

Last edited:
I brewed a grapefruit IPA, numbers were spot on, gonna transfer my red ale to a keg and that will open up a fermenter! Gonna make another vanilla cream ale, as this will always be on tap!!

Cranked out a 10g batch of Juicy Bits neipa on a lovely day.

juicy_bits_26aug2018.jpg

Had a huge problem with BS3 mobile crashing every time it hit an event but I managed to work through it and hit all the critical numbers.
Gonna have to ping Brad on that - very disappointed as I never had an issue with BS2 mobile...

Cheers!

Cranked out a 10g batch of Juicy Bits neipa on a lovely day.

View attachment 585364

Had a huge problem with BS3 mobile crashing every time it hit an event but I managed to work through it and hit all the critical numbers.
Gonna have to ping Brad on that - very disappointed as I never had an issue with BS2 mobile...

Cheers!
Well done

Guess I'll brew this weekend! Northern brewer has a special promo right now so I got three 5 gallon kits shipped and crushed for $65. Got an Oktoberfest, chocolate stout and citra IPA. Going to brew one of them Saturday.
When they arrive brew the oktoberfest, it will be done just barely in time to celebrate the harvest. Prost!

I'm planning on jumping out of the kiddie pool and into the deep end this weekend. My first batch was an american pale ale from an extract kit, now I'm planning an imperial stout like Yazoo Sue using all grain. I haven't decided whether to do BIAB or mash tun/sparge yet. I depends on whether home depot or lowes has their 10 gallon water coolers in stock or not. And whether or not the false bottom that came with my 16 gallon bayou classic brew kettle will fit into the water cooler.

After a hectic brew day on Sunday I am going to dive back in with a 5 gallon batch of Hibiscus Blackberry Cream Sour Ale, yeah it is wordy for sure. I am going to sour it with Good Belly shots and after fermentation it will get as much fresh blackberry puree into the carboy as I can fit. I was going to start with a basic berliner weisse as my first kettle sour but why not go all-out?

Planning an ambitious (maybe overly so) labor day brew weekend. Pipeline is low, so Saturday will be a hopped-up lager (because that's the yeast I have saved) that will get dry hopped eventually, Sunday will be what I'm calling a Dreamsicle Wit with tangerine & orange peel as well as lactose late in the boil, and fermented on the fruit; and Monday will be a straight WF lager that I've done in the past on some more saved yeast. And not to beat a dead horse, but also heading to the Washington State Fair on Saturday to see how my entries did and either celebrate or drown my sorrows in fair burgers and raspberry scones.

Back