Adventures in homebrewing. I was setting up my chiller when I discovered

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
my water hose was pretty much froze solid. Not sure why I didn't think of this before I started my boil. No worries though I just drug the hose through the hose into the bathroom and soaked it in hot water until it was nice and thawed. Meanwhile my wife is kind of laughing at me.

Then I out to hook everything back up and the plastic tubing that attached the chiller to the hose got too close to the heat and melted. Fortunatley it was only about a foot of tubing so I cut it off and re attached. I get the wort chilled to the temp I was shooting for so I go to turn the spigot off and the handle comes off with the hose still running full blast. Again lucky that the screw, handle and washer fell into my hand. I quickly re-attach shut the hose off and finaly i am done.

OG was spot on 1.084, sample tasted good can't wait to until this one is ready to drink. Good memories, good story to tell friends.

You should buy a lottery ticket. As I was reading I was expecting the thawed hose to burst, or the melted tubing to be fused to the hose fitting, or the hose bib to explode when the handle popped off. I wish that all of my misadventures went as smoothly as yours have.

Haha, Nothing every QUITE goes as planned when brewing does it? It seems to me there is always at least one unexpected obstacle to overcome.

adventures of bottling for me last night. lets see, first while cleaning a bucket filled with starsan, shaking back and fourth with my thumb over the airlock hole - BOOM! forgot about the preasure and lid blew off soaking me from head to toe. four more buckets to go - while rinsing one with my little hose attachment hooked to the sink, it came disconnected at the elbow - spraying me in the face with scalding hot water. Time to keg - running sanitizer through beer lines, loose nut at qd - again right in the face, at least this time it wasn't hot. shoulda wore a wet suit last night :drunk:

adventures of bottling for me last night. lets see, first while cleaning a bucket filled with starsan, shaking back and fourth with my thumb over the airlock hole - BOOM! forgot about the preasure and lid blew off soaking me from head to toe. four more buckets to go - while rinsing one with my little hose attachment hooked to the sink, it came disconnected at the elbow - spraying me in the face with scalding hot water. Time to keg - running sanitizer through beer lines, loose nut at qd - again right in the face, at least this time it wasn't hot. shoulda wore a wet suit last night :drunk:

Man I'da been cussin' up a storm.

Man I'da been cussin' up a storm.

oh I was, and I could here my buddies (bottling in the next room) laughing at me. everytime I let out a war cry of cus words, they came running in to see what happened. I stood there dripping wet and tell them to carry on. they'd go back into the bottling room and the giggling would resume :mad:

I've started putting the kettle in the snowbank. Yestertday, I actually overchilled the wort dow in about an hour and a half. Makes for less misadventures :)

Back