My Labels and Brewery Name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
I used to own a recording studio, but sold the whole shah bang about two years ago and got into brewing , my studio name was HammerSmith Studios, so of course I stayed with my name( after the great theater and famous bridge outside London)...Born was HammerSmith Ales. I've played the guitar for almost thirty years( and still do ) , I hope to be brewing for thirty years to come.

Some of my labels( can ya tell I am a British beer freak:

4HOMEBREW9.jpg

big40048.jpg

Here one I made in honor of my favorite guitar player:
Hillbillies.jpg

here's my old Hammersmith Studio:
2005_0424Image0013.jpg

holy dog$h1t those labels in the first and second images look dope! i really like the desaturated, almost faded look a few of them seem to have. and i love the Celtic Fest...
did you do the design work on all of them?
also very nice studio...RIP

Are there any other band geeks out there who saw Hammersmith and immediately started thinking Gustav Holst?

Very very cool lables by the way.

Thanks for all the nice comments, the way I make labels , Microsoft Publisher, onto Avery 3 1/2" x 4" six per sheet 6871( I think ) , then I coat them with either 3lb amber/orange shellac or if I want just brighter 3d type , I use the white/clear schellac.
I have a bunch of fun coming up with names and pictures for my beers, I have quite a few C-Kegs & Tap system,but I acutally like bottling still. Doing the whole package for me is really enjoyable.

I have used just plain white paper, and then used spray adhesive to attach them , that works well on a budget, the Avery labels are not cheap, although you can buy the Staples brand for alot less.

Here's a couple more:

Labels2007003.jpg

One more of the old girl :

2005_0501Image0029.jpg

that was such an awesome studio! :mug:

Your labels look great too, good to see how you go balls to the wall on all your hobbies, whether its music or brewing! :mug:

Iordz said:
What type of console did you have?

That is/was Barry Manilow's board, 1983 was a good year for Carvin, I have to say, it was a sweet board , regardless if it came from Manilow's collection. 24 track analogue and 24 track digital worked for me for a couple of years :eek:

GloHoppa said:
that was such an awesome studio! :mug:

Your labels look great too, good to see how you go balls to the wall on all your hobbies, whether its music or brewing! :mug:

Here's my electronics lab and woodworking shop too, I have a very forgiving wife :

2003_0313Image0041.jpg

2003_0313Image0042.jpg

Waitaminnit -

Are you the same Lehigh Valley Bowen who recently won a rather prestigious award?

If so, that's three reasons I'm insanely jealous of you. :D Cooler than cool labels, rawkin' studio (even if you don't have it anymore), and...well...the award (if'n that's you, I mean).

:rockin:

Cheers,

Bob (nearby, along the banks of the Delaware in Raubsville)

GloHoppa said:
is that a strat on your bench in the first pic?

Just a strat pick guard, I was working on some mod when I took that photo, I have 4 strats and work on others for friends . I have 14 guitars right now I think, but some are just an investment, my main guitar is a 62 strat with lipstick pups.:
http://www.dhenderson.com/PhpImages/details.php?image_id=289

BobNQ3X said:
Waitaminnit -

Are you the same Lehigh Valley Bowen who recently won a rather prestigious award?

If so, that's three reasons I'm insanely jealous of you. :D Cooler than cool labels, rawkin' studio (even if you don't have it anymore), and...well...the award (if'n that's you, I mean).

Cheers,

Hey Bob,

yup, that's me ...Thanks for the kind bump:)

BobNQ3X said:
Waitaminnit -

Cheers,

This what you are talking about?
http://www.mcall.com/features/columnists/all-5homebrewer.6092212oct17,0,7554055.column

Wow!! From someone who shares all your interests...very impressive!!

mrbowenz said:
Thanks for all the nice comments, the way I make labels , Microsoft Publisher, onto Avery 3 1/2" x 4" six per sheet 6871( I think ) , then I coat them with either 3lb amber/orange shellac or if I want just brighter 3d type , I use the white/clear schellac.

So you put the shellac on the labels, then do you allow it to dry before you put the labels on the bottle? There is no problem with the shellac becoming brittle or anything? What kind of printer? An inkjet or a laser?

Last but not least, your labels are awesome. I hope I can come up with something half as nice.

rabidgerbil said:
So you put the shellac on the labels, then do you allow it to dry before you put the labels on the bottle? There is no problem with the shellac becoming brittle or anything? What kind of printer? An inkjet or a laser?

Last but not least, your labels are awesome. I hope I can come up with something half as nice.

Yes, I found that if I put the shellac on first(while the labels are on the sheet) that works best, because then you don't gum-up the bottle. Shellac, dries in under 3 minutes, and although it doesn't afford all that much water proofing, it does a great job with the look and feel. Doesn't get brittle at all, just a thin coat will do . for the style that I am working with , I like the orange the best to create a old world kind of look. I use an HP inkjet printer.

Thanks again for the positive reinforcement , I would encourage anyone to just try having fun with it , it's really easy.

LOL! Steve's Father Joe was my 10th grade world cultures teacher.
Did you grow up n Bethlehem?

Yes, Bethlehem since 1979, but born and raised in Allentown .

I know Steve pretty well , I am a regular over on his gear discussion board.

I recently gave Steve and his wife a few cases of my GABF beer, with that label on it , they got a kick out of it

http://www.online-discussion.com/SteveKimock/

Where in Bethlehem ?

Latest posts

Back