Belgian Wit Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
In addition to my other post, I'll be trying my hand a belgian wit-style beer with a friend of mine who requested the style and the recipe from a book I have. I've gotten mixed results from using other recipes in this book and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware with this recipe, if anything looks like it should be altered or changed, and if I wanted to do a partial mash (see other post), what kind of grains would I use?

Bitchin' Belgian White (5 U.S. Gallons)

3 1/3 lbs. Wheat Malt Extract (Liquid I'm assuming)
2 lbs. DRY Wheat Malt Extract
1/4 lb. whole-wheat flour (what the hell is this for? recipe calls for it to be stirred and dissolved at the end of the boil)
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 1/2 oz. Hallertauer Hops (bittering)
1 1/2 oz. Cascade Hops (dry-hop)
1 package Belgian White yeast (anybody have a specific strain that works really well?)

I've never done a belgian white before, I've stuck mostly to british style ales--bitters, IPA's, porters, etc. Any input would be great!

BREW ON!!!

I've never heard of using wheat flour in a beer...what book is this? Personally, if I was going to do a wit I'd use the Celis or Hoegaarden recipe out of Beer Captured.

make the brew and get out of your comfort zone. Its ok to experiment, ive never heard of that

El Pistolero said:
I've never heard of using wheat flour in a beer...what book is this?

The book is "The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide" by Patrick Higging, Maura Kilgore and Paul Hertlein. Some of the recipes have turned out a great product, others well, I can't tell if it was because of me or bad recipes/instructions.

Instead of the flour, I'd use 8 oz of Carapils and 4 oz of white wheat... and steep for 30 mins at 155F.

I'd also add 1/4oz - 1/2oz of bitter or sweet orange peal for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

I will have to get home and find out which one, but according to "Brew like a Monk" one of the Trappist breweries uses wheat flour to up there fermentables.

John

Back