Assistant Brewers' Age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malweth

Reaction score
I know there's a law that the homebrewer must be 18 or older (>=21 in some states).

Is there any such law for the assistant brewer? What are the competition rules? I'm just curious - sometimes the kids like to help out ;) They deserve the big win almost as much as I do!

Pitching the yeast is the critical step in brewing, for that is when the wort magically becomes a dangerous intoxicating elixir!

You could claim that the kids only helped with the cooking, and you actually made the beer by pitching the yeast.

However this may not fly for competition organizers, who need to follow the law as best they can. They may disqualify a person for listing an assistant who is underaged (Read the rules for that competition) In that case, do not list the ages of the assistant.

And goo don you for incorporating your quality time with spending time with the kids. M y youngest is 13 and when I picked her up from school I handed her a brewsheet. I only meant for her to hold onto it while I drove, but she looked at it and said, "ALRIGHT!" So it looks like she will be joining me in the garage this weekend. I'll probably have to let her choose some music to listen to. Thankfully she likes Styx and a lot of other music I like! (Plus she knows if she puts on Taylor Swift I will not let her help me anymore!)

My little ones (ages 5, 3, and just under 2) love to help out. It's a cool way to bond with them.

I also tend to give a single sip of the final product to my two big kids (16, 15). I'm a believer in the European theory of demystifying alcohol as a way to drastically cut down on stupid decisions related to it and/or alcohol abuse.

The girl (16) hates it all, but she keeps trying sips. The boy (15) has a more accepting palate (though I suspect part of it is any attempt to look cool to me).

This is ok, right?

ForumRunner_20130312_114501.jpg

Oh, and no heat was on, and I told him to.put his boots on. Safety first... he kinda snuck up on me that day :)

Pitching the yeast is the critical step in brewing, for that is when the wort magically becomes a dangerous intoxicating elixir!

You could claim that the kids only helped with the cooking, and you actually made the beer by pitching the yeast.

However this may not fly for competition organizers, who need to follow the law as best they can. They may disqualify a person for listing an assistant who is underaged (Read the rules for that competition) In that case, do not list the ages of the assistant.

And goo don you for incorporating your quality time with spending time with the kids. M y youngest is 13 and when I picked her up from school I handed her a brewsheet. I only meant for her to hold onto it while I drove, but she looked at it and said, "ALRIGHT!" So it looks like she will be joining me in the garage this weekend. I'll probably have to let her choose some music to listen to. Thankfully she likes Styx and a lot of other music I like! (Plus she knows if she puts on Taylor Swift I will not let her help me anymore!)
I can see it now brewing beer bumping Taylor Swift lol.

My 3yo daughter knows the 4 basic ingredients and even asks me to try a sip of or two of the "beer" (water) she "makes" in her little kitchen.
There is nothing sweeter than a little girl saying "mmmm... Smells like hops!"
I think it's awesome.

When we mash out he always says, "I love this smell! I wish I could smell it all day!" (proud tear rolls down)... I think I have a future brewer on deck

My kids mostly help we with carrying heavy brew kettle to the man cave brewery,or help get things for bottling day. The ones in question are 23,nearly 21 & 14. And they're the youngens.

I have two brewers assistants, they're worthless :) ...one is almost two, all he does is steal empty bottles and tries to drink out of them (god help me), and my almost 4yr old, she just comments that the "house smells kinda bad, but good" when I boil.

But, when she throws a 'Tea Party', she tells me that in my cup is "coffee and beer", she knows her old man well.

My kids love to help... especially when it comes to smelling the ingredients. They seem to love the smell of hops! My son (8) won't taste them, though (not after the first time ;))

I'm A-OK with letting the kids taste beer. It bothers my wife sometimes, though... the tiniest sip isn't going to do anything to a 3, 4, or 8 year old (though only the 4 year old will taste with regularity). SWMBO almost had a fit when I let them taste in a restaurant once.

My 4 year old girl is the big helper. She likes to carry things for me (as much as she can) and weigh out the ingredients with me. My son helps if I can tear him away from bike, video games, etc.

(Note: all ages are increased by 2-5 months since they're all pretty close to birthdays).

This is what you want to go with?

I kid... mostly. :mug:

Well, I wouldn't admit to liking Journey! ;)

She listens to plenty of classic rock and some of the newer stuff I like such as Euforquestra and Ella Riot and she even likes Weird Al.

Maybe we should name our next beer "Ale or Swift Ale"

My kids love to help... especially when it comes to smelling the ingredients. They seem to love the smell of hops! My son (8) won't taste them, though (not after the first time ;))

I'm A-OK with letting the kids taste beer. It bothers my wife sometimes, though... the tiniest sip isn't going to do anything to a 3, 4, or 8 year old (though only the 4 year old will taste with regularity). SWMBO almost had a fit when I let them taste in a restaurant once.

My 4 year old girl is the big helper. She likes to carry things for me (as much as she can) and weigh out the ingredients with me. My son helps if I can tear him away from bike, video games, etc.

(Note: all ages are increased by 2-5 months since they're all pretty close to birthdays).

My kids refuse to taste it. It's like they think they'll drop dead from one sip because they've been told alcohol is bad at school. I think an absolute fear of alcohol is nearly as dangerous as a desire to drink it at such a young age.

My 8 year old bitches profusely about the smell...going so far as to spend most of the boil faking dry heaves. She's very charming.

Im not a dad, but I do know someone who got her kid to eat salad by saying "no, salad is really for grown-ups, I dont know if you are old enough yet." It seems logical that one could get their kid to sip their beer in the same manner.

I can't wait! My brewing assistant isn't quite old enough to hold a mash paddle yet, but he has been listed as "assistant brewer" on all of my brew sheets and been to the LHBS with me every time I've gone since his birth.

70D65BC8-DAC9-4911-8713-637C80EE9CC1-17100-00001B5845A30539_zps1ae0ba07.jpg

"If you dont get me outrightnow I'm sooo gonna crap in your kettle.

Funny, I was looking for funny names for a really dark stout and threw out the name "Meconium" (look it up if you don't have kids). My wife is not on board with the name. This puts a whole new wrinkle on the name, with the possibility of the real thing as an ingredient.

Funny, I was looking for funny names for a really dark stout and threw out the name "Meconium" (look it up if you don't have kids). My wife is not on board with the name. This puts a whole new wrinkle on the name, with the possibility of the real thing as an ingredient.

Meconium ftw. I actually inhaled my meconium when I was still in the womb. When I was born, I had to be rushed to another hospital to have it sucked out off my lungs with some machine. Still have the scar.

Meconium ftw. I actually inhaled my meconium when I was still in the womb. When I was born, I had to be rushed to another hospital to have it sucked out off my lungs with some machine. Still have the scar.

So, if someone tells you to "eat $hi! and die", do you explain that you once tried?

Why would you care what the BS law says anyway? You have every right in the world to teach your kids a craft and it would be up to the parent to tell the kids what alcohol can do to young persons body. The reason for most laws is to extort money from the citizens to pay for the unelected law maker's and the costumed enforcer's ( cops ) salaries along with taxing you to death.The more you ignore stupid laws like the you are asking about, the faster you gain your liberty. I mean no disrespect at all , that is just my opinion .

my 4 month old has been to the LHBS everytime we have went cant wait for him to get older and start helping on brew days. he already tries to grab my glasses of beer when im holding him. he loves the smell of an ipa he lights up and smiles non stop

I'm telling you this right now, everytime I go to the barbeque and bourbon place in the neighborhood and someone brings a baby I am going to make the "wow, they are lax with their carding here" joke.

Every time.

Latest posts

Back