Could I have a gluten intolerance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_me_plz

Reaction score
I came to the sad realization a couple weeks ago that I may have a gluten intolerance. More particularly with barley. Here's some of the back story.

In college I could pound the booze. I was in a fraternity so it was a lot and it was often. Now that I'm a little older (26) I'm afraid to even go out to a bar because I fear the insane nausea that over takes me the next day. It's from a soon as I wake up till usually 10 or so that night. I can't even get water to stay down. I usually think I'll just drink beer no shots no liquor at all. It wouldn't help. And I'm not drinking a crazy amount either. Half of what it was in college.

So a couple weeks ago I did an experiment at a my buddies wedding. I drank nothing but wine and actually switched to booze at the bar later that night. Got hammered drunk had a lot of fun. Woke up the next at breakfast and didn't even have a headache. I was tired and could tell I drank but nothing near what it normally would be.

Now I've noticed something else too. I have an awesome Oaked amber ale that has been conditioned for a month and is ready to drink. I can't get through half a glass with out having a hellacious sinus attack and a headache. I mean like runny nose and lots of phlegm being hacked up. My voice even gets scratchy like I have a cold. could this be from the LME I used? All grain or commercial beer aren't nearly as bad. What's weird is bread or any other grain products don't bother me either.

Anyway, I'm not looking for dr. House here I just want to know if anyone has had the same experience or if they know what could be causing it. This really sucks but I'm thinking there maybe some hope for me to continue my hobby. Cheers!

Sounds like it to me...sorry.

I have the same problem with many commercial beers, especially wheat beers. Just not to the same extent as you. My girlfriend has some pretty strong reactions too. One thing I do is add clarityferm to my homebrew. Seems to work for both my girlfriend any myself, stuff is amazing.

The worst thing you can do is go gluten free without having a diagnosis. The tests don't give the correct results if you are already following the diet. Go see a doctor and get an official diagnosis.

If it turns out you do have it, you don't have to give up your hobby. Obviously, this forum is a testament to that fact. What it does mean is you will have to start thinking outside of the box and come at beer from more creative angles then you were, most likely, doing before. But you can still brew beer, cider, wine, mead...all the good stuff.

Sounds like it to me...sorry.

I have the same problem with many commercial beers, especially wheat beers. Just not to the same extent as you. My girlfriend has some pretty strong reactions too. One thing I do is add clarityferm to my homebrew. Seems to work for both my girlfriend any myself, stuff is amazing.

Clarityferm eh? can you tell me more about it? can you add it to finished beer? I'll have to research it. sounds promising though. thanks

What i hate is i haven't been to the doctor in like two or three years. I'm certainly not a hypochondriac by any stretch. but i guess i'll have to suck it up and go... :(

Visiting a doctor will help, though many MDs are somewhat skeptical of gluten intolerance in my experience, and view it as the chic diet du jour (i seriously had one doc tell me this). my experience tells me you'd have better luck with a naturopath, especially if its not something as cut and dry as Celiacs.

My wife had the same exact issues and was confirmed to be Gluten Intolerant. Boy how my life has changed besides beer!

Not to highjack this thread but has anyone ever experienced their throat becoming restricted when drinking beer?? The other night I was drinking a La Fin Du Monde (Unibroue) and my throat became very tight. I almost got panicky for a second. Stop drinking the brew and had some water and about 15 minutes later I was fine. Any thoughts? It has happened before over the years but this was really bad...

I used to get the same kiler headaches/sinus problems the next morning as you described. I did the same as you sank beer in my university days and as I got older the body got poorer at handeling it. Now I only drink wine/spirits and gluten free beer. Problem solved unless I've been working my ass off and dehydrated already. I did have other symptoms too but first noticed it with beer. My dad is a naturopath and he picked it up, I first told him to get stuffed as I didn't want to hear something like that but it progressively got worse and eventually gave in to it.

BradleyBrew said:
Not to highjack this thread but has anyone ever experienced their throat becoming restricted when drinking beer?? The other night I was drinking a La Fin Du Monde (Unibroue) and my throat became very tight. I almost got panicky for a second. Stop drinking the brew and had some water and about 15 minutes later I was fine. Any thoughts? It has happened before over the years but this was really bad...

I was telling a friend about my little experiment the day after the wedding. He told me he had a similar experience several years ago to what you just described. Only it happened for several days anytime he drank a beer. His throat became tight but he also said his mouth got itchy just like an allergic reaction. After about 30 mins it would go away. It went eventually went away. It is kinda scary how your body can develops these reactions.

Homercidal said:
Everybody and their brother is going gluten free these days...

I know what you mean. Being a personal trainer I despise fad diets. I was in the grocery store the other day and saw salt labeled "Gluten Free!"...well, no ****. But, when it could be a serious medical condition it does warrant some credibility. I'm going to do more research and see what the doctor says.

Well, if it turns out you are diagnosed it sucks but doesn't end the hobby. There are options out there and there is always wine. I just started my first two wine kits and I'm sure you could get just as into that as beer brewing. Maybe even get some grab vines growing.

We despise Gluten free as being thought of as a diet, or worse a fad diet. It makes it worse when people think "Oh gluten free, it must mean it's healtheir" when they're looking at a gluten free cookie vs a regular cookie. Both are bad, gluten free might technically be worse in terms of GI index/nutrition.

The only thing that could and should be considered healthy is the less simple carbs, more complex carbs, vegetables and protein. But that's a healthy diet in general, but you already know this as a trainer.

It's complicated in that you said you seem to be okay with normal bread and normal gluten products, otherwise I would have said yes, it sounds like some people's gluten reactions. It's difficult to get a doctor to say it is, plus, there really is not that much benefit other than a minimal tax break. (Meaning you have to spend a lot on gluten free foods and the amount that costs more than normal foods is 2% deductible medically, but are you seriously going to be able to buy that much and make it worthwhile? Truckloads of gluten free cookies, I'm sure that's healthy.)You can always test out an elimination diet to see if you see a major change.

The whole thing seems weird. I would've thought wheat would be worse but maybe it is just barley. I found another article about someone being allergic to hops. That would be just awful!!! Bottom line is I need to get tested.

I was telling a friend about my little experiment the day after the wedding. He told me he had a similar experience several years ago to what you just described. Only it happened for several days anytime he drank a beer. His throat became tight but he also said his mouth got itchy just like an allergic reaction. After about 30 mins it would go away. It went eventually went away. It is kinda scary how your body can develops these reactions.

Wow! thats exactly what happens to me. I going to start taking note of what beer types cause this reaction. Right now I think it is Belgian Yeast. Maybe they produce a compound during fermentation that does not agree with me. interesting...

Disclaimer: I'm an acupuncturist, or at least at the end of my 4-year program and preparing to sit the board exam. Here in CA we're licensed as primary care providers, so I know what I'm talking about--BUT I am not yet qualified to dispense medical advice, and I wouldn't without doing a full intake and history, so take this with a grain of salt.

"Gluten Intolerance" is very similar symptom-wise to lactose intolerance. In other words, severe abdominal discomfort, bloating, cramping pain, diarrhea, flatulence, etc. It usually comes on rather quickly, usually within 30 minutes to an hour. Some sufferers (like myself) feel the effects in as little as 5 or 10 minutes from something like a beer. If it is, in fact, a gluten issue, it will be worse with wheat and wheat beers, pizza dough, pasta, etc. Gluten intolerance does not manifest with nutritional deficiencies, and symptoms are eliminated pretty much within a few days by adhering to a gluten-free diet. Like lactose intolerance, there are varying levels of sensitivity, and small amounts of contamination will at the worst cause you a stomach ache.

However, there is also a spectrum of allergic disorders that are related to wheat, barley, even yeast (and yes, hops). All grains have a unique protein fingerprint, and in brewing they break down into a variety of amino acids. Any of these little guys can trigger an allergic reaction, which can vary in severity from simple inflammation of the GI tract to a full-on anaphylactic shock reaction (which is life-threatening and requires immediate treatment with epinephrine and anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine medication). Somewhere in between mild indigestion and full-on anaphylaxis, you will find skin rashes, respiratory distress, inflammation of the nose and throat, etc.

Celiac disease (not "Celiacs", the word "celiac" refers to the gut/intestines), not to be confused with "gluten intolerance", is an auto-immune disorder that can manifest without digestive symptoms at all. It is distinguished by causing marked nutritional deficiency due to malabsorption, which is because the immune system develops antibodies to gluten and subsequently attacks the lining of the small intestine as sort of "collateral damage" whenever gluten is ingested. In celiac disease, the "villi"--little finger-like protrusions from the wall of the small intestine that increase surface area to improve absorption of nutrients--become flattened and smooth and thus absorb nutrients very poorly. Celiac disease is NOT an allergy! Symptoms of celiac disease take a long time to recover from and require a very serious and stringent adherence to a gluten-free diet. Even a tiny amount of contamination can set you back MONTHS of recovery time.

Celiac disease can be tested for by a blood test for certain antibodies; allergies can be tested for by allergic skin tests (not very much fun). Gluten intolerance is not easily tested for; the current standard is basically an elimination diet--first we test for celiac and wheat/barley allergies, and if those are negative we do a few weeks on a gluten-free diet and see if symptoms improve. If they do, we re-introduce some forms of gluten and see if symptoms return. If they do, we consider this positive for gluten-intolerance.

From the symptoms you are describing, I would suspect a barley allergy rather than a gluten intolerance, but you should get tested to be sure. In any case, the consequence is the same: no more regular beer. In the meantime between now and when you get tested, I'd recommend trying a gluten-free beer to see if you get any reaction. If you do, then it may be hops or yeast, rather than barley. I'd also recommend taking an anti-histamine after drinking normal beer when you start to experience symptoms, just to see if that helps. But for Pete's sake, get to a doctor ASAP and get some tests done. I recommend at the very least a test for celiac, a grain allergy panel, and a blood study to check for any nutritional deficiencies.

Good luck!

Great input! There is certainly no gastrointestinal discomfort. So I guess I misspoke with the intolerance part and I maybe looking at an allergy.

igliashon said:
no more regular beer. In the meantime between now and when you get tested, I'd recommend trying a gluten-free beer to see if you get any reaction. If you do, then it may be hops or yeast, rather than barley.

Good luck!

So basically what your saying is I should get drunk on sorghum beer tonight!? Jk, seriously though I will get some and drink a few. I'll see if I react in a similar fashion. That should help narrow down gluten, yeast, or hops. All in the name of science!

I have this reaction with Unibroue beer. La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, and Terrible. I can make it through Terrible if I wait about 10 min for the symptoms to subside before continuing on drinking.
The only other beer with similar suvere reactions is delirium tremens. For it I get severe stomach cramping similar to if I eat an almond.
I have severe nut and fish allergies. I know the fish isn't the problem as aside from one with honey all Unibroue beer are vegan.

So.. if your like me you just have to stay away from those 4 beer.
:mug:

I have this reaction with Unibroue beer. La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, and Terrible. I can make it through Terrible if I wait about 10 min for the symptoms to subside before continuing on drinking.
The only other beer with similar suvere reactions is delirium tremens. For it I get severe stomach cramping similar to if I eat an almond.
I have severe nut and fish allergies. I know the fish isn't the problem as aside from one with honey all Unibroue beer are vegan.

So.. if your like me you just have to stay away from those 4 beer.
:mug:

wow! interesting. I wonder if we have some type of reaction from the esters produced by their yeast stain(s). I'm set to brew a tripel next week and I'm gong to use the wyeast Canadian / Belgian PC yeast. It is suppose to be Unibrou's strain. We will see what happens! Sucks because their beer is really good and Maudite is probably my favorite Belgian Dark Strong :(.

Regarding the sinus congestion and headaches; is that the case for all beers?

Personally I experienced similar effects with certain beers, but not with all.

Consider the hops or yeast in the beers that cause the effect. You still may be able to drink regular beer.

Back