It's still good! It's still good!..... I hope

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meteorbrews

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

I want to see if my 1st batch of beer is still good, I brewed it last night, I think i've covered most of the bases on noob mistakes, and then some maybe. So here is a list of things that went wrong.

1. Boilover, no hops had been added yet and only half the malt extract i was using.
2. Cooled the wort without a lid on it, probably not a huge issue.
3. Pushed the rubber stopper into the carboy full of the wort, had to empty it half way and had to use a hanger to pull if back through.
4. Blowout. About an hour after i left for work this morning the airlock (3 piece) clogged and subsquently blew out :ban: not much volume was lost, maybe 100mL.

Luckily SWMBO was home and was able to at least deal with the mess, rinse off the stopper and airlock and put it back on, albeit without the inner piece of the airlock or the lid. So the carboy sat like that for about 11 hours before I made it home to resanitize the airlock/stopper/neck of the carboy. Vigourous fermentation is still taking place as we speak and sanitizer is oozing out of the top of the airlock, but the stark white foam, which i would like to assume is the krausen, is no longer rising up. My recipe was Palmers Cincinnati PA, my OG was 1.040. I used S-04 dry ale yeast with an ambient temperature of 70F in the room I am fermenting in. Also the smell coming out of the fermentor is a nice hoppy ale smell.

Attached are two pictures, one showing the stark white foam and the second one, showing the leftover residue, which is somewhat granular like sand but a bit gummy at the same time.

What do you think? Let me know if you want any more info. In the mean time, since i dont have any homebrew yet, I will go enjoy my fav micro, Propeller Bitter.

Thanks,

Brad

Buck and Doe 1.jpg

Buck and Doe 2.jpg

Once you do a little more reading here on HBT you'll learn a lot. Leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks (yes, kit says 7 days but ignore that), then bottle and leave it to condition for 3 weeks or so. Trust me - this is important.

B

The three piece airlocks are great, but have a minor flaw. Drill out the tiny airholes in the plactic cap and it will not get stopped up by the hop bits. If you have a Very vigerous ferm going it might have the water pushed out but it will not launch.

If it's building up that much pressure,rig a blow off tube. Airlocks aren't meant to deal with that kind of pressure.

Latest posts

Back