Magoo's Mild, 3rd place in Cat 11 at 2011 HBT Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midfielder5

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham x 2
Yeast Starter
rehydrated
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
-0-
Additional Fermentation
-0-
Tasting Notes
well made, drinkable beer with good malty balance...nice malt and ester notes
This is Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale, a famous recipe around here. Some of us made it without changing the recipe and entered it in the 2011 HBT competition, as a side competition that I called "Milds gone Wild".

This "Magoo Mild" beer finished in 3rd place in the West of the 2011 HBT competition with a 35. It advanced to the second Best of Show round, where I think it also got 3rd place.

The judges' comments-- "Well Made Beer." ."a well made, drinkable beer with good malty balance... some nice malt and ester notes..."

Both judges wanted more malt complexity in the grain bill.
I also would use a different English yeast if I were to make it again.

11.5 pounds Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
3 pounds Briess Caramel 60L (60.0 SRM)
10 oz Chocolate Malt (UK) (508.0 SRM)

Boil for 60 min total.

@ 45 mins, add 2.5oz Fuggles pellet [3.6% AA]
@ 15 mins, add 1.0oz Fuggles leaf [4.5% AA]

So..? How'd it go with the new yeast? Which was it, did you modify the grain bill to make it more "complex"?

I ended up doing it as a partigyle, making an ESB for first runnings with WL Burton yeast and getting about 4 gallons of Mild that I fermented with dry S-04. The mild was much better. I am not a WL Burton ale (#13?) yeast fan.

Thank you thank you thank you for this recipe...

We brewed this a couple weeks ago, got it in the keg this weekend, and it is absolutely AMAZING!!!

PROST!!!

Back